A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I should be reading submissions...

Instead, a few thoughts on family.

I mean, what is it about them? Their unerring ability to remind you, every single time you see them, of the worst you've ever been. Had the big Shore Party shindig this past weekend, and I couldn't help but notice on several occasions that being around my family entices me to behave as they expect me to behave. It's one of them thar never-ending cycles.

Which isn't to say the weekend was awful, or anything like that. It went rather well, I think. But still...

There are times I regret my big Irish Catholic family, and the at-times ridiculous closeness of us all. It's easier to be blase about a repetitive comment made by the somewhat annoying family member if it's only made occasionally, rather than every weekend.

For the record, yes, I like to sleep in. And yes, in years past, when I was less than diligent about my sunblock application, I would sometimes miss a spot. Does this need to be brought up in conversation every-single-time I see certain family members? No, I think not.

Sigh.

All that said, between one thing and another, I think the weekend after next will be my last Shore weekend for the year, unless, as threatened, I gather the geeks for a gamefest weekend. But that'll be less beachy than autumnal. So there.

1 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

No, of course you're not wrong, Avo. And yes, in comparison with the worst case scenario, I've got it pretty good. I recognize that. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes feel ungrateful, or think about being further away from them. And it doesn't mean I wish them ill. Of course not.

Everyone has some kind of familial issues. That's the only constant.

8/16/2006 12:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home