A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Historical adventures

From the opening pages of my 1996 journal
16 July 1996
I set sail today for Egypt... actually, it was just another day at work, though with my new journal, I feel as though I ought to be having great adventures. Unfortunately I fear these pages will soon be filled with trifles of work, and none of the excitement a travel journal should contain. These ideas, if not the wording of them, may also be due to my reading of Janes Austen's Mansfield Park. Yesterday was much the same, as tomorrow also promises to be. Oh, to be actually on one of the grand old steamers of the transAtlantic line, bound for the unknown, the unexpected, the unpredictable! My closest chance of that is a journey down to Delaware in 2 weeks for Colleen's goodbye party. She's to try her luck in Hollywood -- that would be an adventure to rival darkest Africa!
And it went on and on for several months, as my young Brit passenger sailed to Egypt, met up with various characters, of my own fictional creation, and of other's, and ended up engaged, I think. Another example
20 July
The excitement of this evening's entertainment has kept me awake far past my proscribed bedtime. After a day spent on deck with Mother whilst I repeatedly tried to encoutner the sun, and she to keep me from it, a special athletic exhibition was arranged which kept our attention focused on other matters. Father competed in a shooting event, aiming at clay pigeons thrown from the bow, though I found myself watching for Mr. O'Shea, who competed in several running events, placing in all. I was able to extend my congratulations to him at the celebratory dinner afterwards, which he took with much modesty, and complimented me as well upon my own small accomplishments in the archery event. I look forward to the masquerade ball which is to culminate our voyage with a mixture of anxiety, excitement, and dread. While I would regret the ending of such a pleasant journey, I wonder at what new adventures may unfurl both at the ball and afterwards...
So yes, were there ever any doubt of my writerly pretensions, there you have it. Proof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home