A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Vintage Optimism

So, I've been thinking of my Style Statement lately, both in connection with wanting some new clothes for the fall and my business trip, but also in terms of hopefully soon decorating a new apartment. I can't help but keep thinking of these gorgeous, beautiful bookcases I saw at a Thrift Store off Gramercy Park (so yeah, not really "thrifty"), which were in the Mission style and so, so, so pretty. Like this. And then, last night, much like counting sheep, I was thinking of how I would build a narrow table/bookshelf for the back of my couch. Which, in my dreamstate, will be perfectly stained and hold artfully arranged little knicknacks. Although, yes, I suppose I could just go buy one. But then that's not Vintage, is it? No!

I was also very encouraged by an article in this week's Entertainment Weekly called "Back to Old School", which showed off some stuff from a few upcoming period films (including Hollywoodland, The Black Dahlia, and Idlewild), and also mentioned our gal Christina Aguilera (have I mentioned the catchy new CD? I have? Oh, good). In connection with whom, they featured these red shoes. Totally Vintage Optimism, right? I know, they kinda look like someone skinned a Muppet. A dirrty, trashy Muppet. I want them. If I wear them with a little black pencil skirt, and a black cashmere sweater set of some kind, it'll be just perfect 40s noir. Ooh! I even have a little black net feathery hat thing!

Although, to be fair, there's a difference between costume and clothing, and if I wear all of the above, I may as well go to a Halloween party. I'll find a way to work it into my regular attire, I'm sure of it.

And that, ladies and gents, is the "Optimism" part of the equation! And speaking of, I'm off to hope we get the new apartment we fell in love with this past weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Midwesterly said...

seamed stockings! you must invest in a pair! no noir is noir without it!

8/25/2006 8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home