A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Interview technique

I should be working. I certainly have enough to do. Instead, I am highly amused with the following proposed interview technique. A friend with a certifiably crazy boss gave notice a week or so ago. Her last day is tomorrow. (So, two weeks ago. There. Did the math.) Her boss, because of the whole "crazy", has managed to be out of the office for what seems like most of my friend's last days, and now, NOW, has asked my friend to interview her own replacement. The following is one suggested conversation.


My Friend: So tell me why you want to work at [company], Sparky.

Melissa: Um, are you making fun of me?

MF: No! Just kidding. But seriously, Melinda, why do you want to work at [company's better-known competitor]. Can we trust you?

Melissa: Um, it's Melissa?

MF: Are you asking me or telling me, Melinda?

Melissa: ?

MF: No, seriously, I think you're going to like it here, Melinda. You'll fit in well. We'll sit you right across from Will. Don't talk to him when his face is red or he's crying.

Melissa: ?

MF: So Melinda, I take this to mean that you're leaving your current job?

Melissa: Well, most likely, I . . .

MF: So, would you call yourself disloyal?

Melissa: No, I just . . .

MF: Sounds pretty disloyal. How about we leave that for now, Melissa?

Melissa: Oh . . . right. Melissa.

MF: Sorry. Melinda. So, what do you do when you're not stabbing your employer in the back? You got a hobby? You dance? You a dancer?

Melissa: I guess I . . . dance. Sometimes.

MF: I'm a very good dancer.

Melissa: That's nice.

MF: Would you like to see?

Melissa: Um . . . sure?

MF: (shaking head) Now, that wouldn't be very professional, now would it, Melissa?

Melissa: I guess not.

MF: You guess not? You're not really clear on what professionalism is, are you Missy?

Melissa: No. I am.

MF: Prove it.

Melissa: What?

MF: You heard me. Prove it.

Melissa: Uh . . . how?

MF: (crumpling resume into ball and tossing it over shoulder) I think I've seen enough.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

I Love It! I'm supposed to help out with some interviews around here in the near future, I may have to use these techniques!

3/30/2006 4:10 PM

 
Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Hey, my friend could be doing the applicants a favor. MF would be preparing new hires for the illogical work environment they would enter.

I don't know if karma would view it the same... but who would really care?

3/30/2006 6:01 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Karma? That's that thing Carson Daly invented, right?

3/31/2006 1:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By suggested conversation, I do so hope that it didn't *actually* occur. Because otherwise... Oh, that poor girl! She sounded so nervous to begin with, and to get verbally slapped around like that...

4/03/2006 1:35 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

No worries, Mav. It's all just in My Friend's mind. Along with a lot of other really weird stuff.

4/03/2006 5:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home