A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Landed safely...

...And even a little early.  Woot.  In case I forget to ask later, what's with all the circular fields you see as you're coming in to land? Did Colorado decide square or rectangular fields were too boring?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They're square fields with circular irrigation! :)

1. Take one (1) sqare field.
2. Stick a big-ass post in the middle of it.
3. Attach a long pipe to the post, on a pivot, and mount it on motorized wheels.

Turn the motorized wheels on, turn on the water, and you have, basically, a pipe, rolling around and and around in a circle, over the field, like one of those horse-training things.

Irrigates whatever it's carried past, but that means that the corners of each field get no water, which means they do as well as anything agricultural does in Colorado.

I.e.: It dies.

1/12/2006 1:20 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Also: WELCOME TO COLORADO.

*sharpens the knives and rewinds his DVD copy of "Saw".

1/12/2006 1:22 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Um ... what he said.

I remember first seeing pictures of that type of irrigation in National Geographic years ago. They were using it in Saudi or something like that. I was tickled to see it when I got here.

And -- welcome!

1/12/2006 4:58 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

I've seen that a few times when far far overhead flying from one coast to the other. Very strange to see. Like weird geodesic art projects on a giant scale.

1/12/2006 11:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home