A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

When life gives you lemons...

As I said, I walked to work today, and couldn't help but notice on my happy little journey that several stores I passed were offering Transit Strike sales. The Super Runner shop, for instance, was hosting a "Walk to Work Sale!" with 20% off shoes. Now, that's capitalism. Or entrepreneurship. One of the two.

Still, I felt like the grownup that had to go to work while the kids stayed home on a snow day -- the roomie took the day off for his trip home for the holidays, and MMJ, who stayed over last night after our gift exchance, wasn't going to work either. Meanies.

I suppose I'll have to do some thinking about getting up to my mom's this weekend if the strike continues, but even that's not too bad. Dress warm, pack light, and take Metro-North. Luckily, my sister with the car who lives downtown has the heavy presents I'm giving out. I'm like some kind of genius.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *did* go to work!

-mmj

12/21/2005 3:02 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I'm so proud of you, then.

12/21/2005 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

For those of us who normally get our news from the Daily Show and live on the left coast, what exactly is the Transit Strike?

12/22/2005 12:28 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh, big fun. All the bus and subway workers/drivers/etc. have gone on strike, for a number of reasons, and so most of New York's public transportation isn't working. Some private bus companies are still operating, as well as NJ Transit, the Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, etc., but if you want to get around between the 5 boroughs, people are either having to walk, bike, or share cars -- and the police aren't letting cars in below certain points without at least 4 passengers. The first couple of days was chaos, but as we get to day 3, I think more and more people just aren't bothering going to work.

12/22/2005 10:34 AM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

Ah. People are just taking some holiday vacation time earlier then they had planned then.

Having visited NYC, I can definately see how not being able to use the subway or the bus would make it helluva hard to get around.

12/22/2005 11:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home