A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

We're not big on "reviews"...

... or feedback, or any of that other namby-pamby corporate stuff. The senior partner likes to give out Christmas presents, but perist the thought that he'd sit down and talk about how you're doing, etc. etc. Nonetheless, my direct boss just sat down with me (after I walked her through using her fancy new iPod video) and told me how well I'd done this year, how happy she was with my work, and that all signs looked very good for a nice raise and a bonus. She also stressed that I should remember, even if I don't hear it from others (AKA the Senior Partners) that I had an excellent year.

Which is really nice to hear.

I'm working on a book deal right now in which the author imagines conversations with Aristotle, and basically transposes his ideas and philosophies into contemporary self-help speak. And one of the things she talks about is the idea of loving what you do, and how that leads to true happiness. It's not about having a super-exciting job or being the tippy-top of your field, so much as being happy and satisfied, and letting your work be a passion in your life. And for me, now, it is. And when I look back, even just at the few years I've been blogging, about how I felt about my job somedays, I know that somewhere along the way I was able to realize that, and it's made all the difference.

Even if I spend a portion of my day blogging, or trolling the web, or chatting with my friends, I know -- I love what I do, and I'm happy doing it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Yay!

Yep...it makes all the difference.

Even when you work at a really bad place, if you enjoy what you do, then work is fun.

Oh....Pre-Grats on the Raise and Bonus!

12/14/2005 4:29 PM

 
Blogger Miss Midwesterly said...

keep it up, KT. hopefully the rest of the world will follow in your shoes.
and here's hoping that you'll publish the rest of us who DO love what we do!

12/14/2005 6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Loving what you do" is possibly the most alien concept I've ever been introduced to. I have NEVER had a job I've enjoyed. And now that I'm moving, I won't be able to take classes at VoiceTrax, so my dream of someday becoming a voice artist is going down the drain. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

12/15/2005 9:03 AM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

You are lucky to be in a job you don't consider total BS most of the time. Of course, being the cynic I am, I probably would feel that way about ANY job...

12/19/2005 12:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just quit the job I've hated with a passion for the last 20 years, and am making a lateral move to another lousy job, but one that has some benefits, such as insurance and vacations. (My last vacation was February of 1990.) But I don't expect to enjoy this one, either. (Apologies if my pessimism is bumming anybody out. Some days I censor myself better than others.)

12/19/2005 8:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home