A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Home for the Holidays

Up at my mom's for Christmas, and had a very busy day of picking up the tree, decorating the house, wrapping presents, baking cookies, and so on and so on. Still more to do, of course -- my sister and I will decorate the tree tomorrow (need to let it sit overnight so the branches drop into the proper position for hanging ornaments), as well as stringing up lights on some of the outdoor branches. Got a yummy home-cooked dinner, too, and about to sit down and curl up on the couch to watch a cheesy movie with my sister.

I love this season. Love doors closed because people are wrapping presents, love the smell of gingerbread, and unwrapping all the ornaments we've made throughout the years, or received, or seeing what decorations come out each year -- the potholder I made 15 years ago, the hand painted ornaments Mom gave us all two years ago, the little sheep we bought in Ireland, and the Santas my sister picked up on another trip. Love lights on the houses, even the ones that are way overdone, because what would we talk about in the car as we drove past them except how excessive they are? I love going to midnight mass with my mom, even if I never go the rest of the year. I love Christmas songs, especially sung by Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springsteen, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. And I love when my family gets together, and the kids are running around playing, and everyone's talking, and laughing, and telling stories at the dinner table.

And I love watching Bing Crosby in "White Christmas" sing "What do you do with a General?" which makes me cry each and every single time I watch it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll still be packing today and tomorrow. Just as well I have no Christmas obligations, perhaps.

I found the little Christmas tree I made out of beads when I was married, but it's packed away already. So no decorations again this year.

If I can find time, I'll watch "Christmas in Connecticut." I do so love Barbara Stanwyck!

12/24/2005 10:18 AM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

Yay for Bing Crosby! "Christmas in Vermont" and "White Christmas" are the only two holiday movies that I will still watch.

12/24/2005 1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home