A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

My Office Quest Continues...

It's been a super busy week here in Kate-land, but in a good way. Not in the realm of Jennifer Weiner's week, but busy.

Big news today! I closed the big British deal I was working on for a super-wonderful middle grade book, and it went to a really great publisher, Chicken House. First, can we talk about the great name? Chicken House. I love it! Now, I just hope that beyond the written "good work!" recognition, I get something a little more substantial. Say, an office. With a door. And -- dare I hope to dream? -- a window.

It's not too much to ask, is it? I mean, really. We just hired a new agent, who's never done any agenting before, and she gets to waltz right into the office recently vacated by Amy (in a supremely unjust ousting, but I digress). I've been here six and a half years, and selling books for the past 4, easily, and I'm still stuck back here in the cave. It's not like there's no room. There's an empty office not -- hold on, I will mark it out -- not twelve steps from where I'm sitting. Empty! Because Park Avenue real estate isn't valuable or anything.

I'm not asking for a raise, even, though that would be nice. Just the recognition that I am doing the exact same job as the two other agents in my department, excluding my boss, who's the head of the rights team. And I'm doing it without an assistant, not that I'm asking for one of those either. Or a company credit card -- ok, that I want! A corporate card and an office. And the goddamned "agent" Christmas gift this year (as opposed to last).

Ergh. I need to calm down. I'm getting myself all annoyed, when I want to be calm, cool, and collected. I just feel that this has gone on long enough, and either they need to step up and acknowledge me, or I need to make that hard decision and step away. This is ridiculous. I need them to see me.

Wooosh. Deep breath. Time to relax. Tonight is The Procrastination Queen's birthday celebration, so I'm heading downtown for the festivities. Wahhhooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home