A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

"Lestat" sucks.

No, really. It sucks. Don't waste a single cent or an iota of your time on it. My friend and I who went to see it last night walked out at the intermission. I've never done that before. Never. As an introduction to the earnest suckiness of it all, I present unto you Anne Rice's bio from the Playbill (she is credited for the Source Material):
The bio of an artist such as Anne Rice (b. 1941) can only be truly understood in the context of the author's personal testimony - her vast body of work. Each beloved character, iridescently animated and virtually manifested before our eyes, witnesses its creator's experience in triumph and in sorrow in searching for some semblance of Happy Peace. From the pangs of Louis' utter solitude to Claudia's untimely demise to Lestat's wickedly bedazzling smile, the author's life permeates each page with such ardor that one could only blush at being so exposed. But Anne Rice gives herself - her life in full - as a gift to the world in every spellbinding chapter, every carefully turned page, every meaningful word; mere footprints of a life lived in art. A native of New Orleans now residing in the California desert, she is the author of 27 books, which include The Vampire Chronicles, The Witching Hour, Cry to Heaven, and Violin. Rice's latest novel, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, is the beginning of her literary contribution to Christian art.
I just... and there's... and she... *sigh* I wish I could get back the hours I've spent reading her books. Sure, some of the early ones were entertaining, but her writing's just gotten so bloated, and too full of her own self-importance, that the stories themselves are long past left at the wayside.

Which was a part of my problem with "Lestat." Not only was the music entirely unmemorable, and giggleworthy, with songs such as "Beautiful Boy," "The Thirst," "Make Me As You Are," and "The Crimson Kiss," but it was all played with such a dreadfully serious sense of earnestness, such high-mindedness, like no one ever stopped the creators and said, "Hey. Uh... you guys know you're making a vampire musical, right? Vampires." Because you have to admit that there's going to be a level of campy, and if you go with it, then maybe you end up with some light entertainment. But if you're convinced you're making A.R.T. then you end up with dreck.

In my opinion, at least.

I wish I'd had a better experience with vampire musicals. But even Dracula was more fun to see. Hell, we made it through the whole thing, so it must have been. I think part of it, even for a fan of vampire entertainment such as myself, is that the medium of the Broadway musical is just too in-your-face for the genre. In a movie, or on tv, it's a lot easier to ignore the behind the scenes pyrotechnics and special effects. On the stage, it's harder to be blind to the wires and the trapdoors and the giant screens behind the actors showing video footage of blood cells.

Oh man, I have to go lie down now. It's all too, too much.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen on stage?

15 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh! Oh! And I almost forgot how, in one scene near the end of Act I, one of the characters kept begging, "Release me. Release me!" and my friend and I were like, "Yes, please! Release me!"

4/13/2006 12:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes!! Well, you had a feeling it would be bad - mockable even... but wow, this sounds like it will fall among the ranks of "carrie, the musical" _ Glad you guys salvaged the remainder of the evening, even though you had to recover - did you drink heavily??

4/13/2006 2:28 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Like Avo, I couldn't make it through IwaV.

Can't say I've ever seen anything on stage that was all that awful, but I don't do a lot of live theatre. The worst movie I ever saw (and the only one I was ever *really* tempted to walk out on) was "Nightfall," adapted (grotesquely and loosely) from the Asimov story, and starring David Birney. I still cringe at the thought of it, and no doubt Isaac Asimov defied his own atheistic beliefs in order to return from the dead and send his own corpse spinning madly at the travesty.

4/13/2006 7:27 PM

 
Blogger Ali said...

Jekyll and Hyde - the Musical was pretty high up there... Although Sebastian Bach managed to redeem it a bit with his over-the-top theatrics and "Look ma! I'm on Broadway!" sense of fun. (He even posed with me after the show. The shot consists of him pointing to my now ex-boyfriend and shouting "Who's THAT dude?" Classic.)

Kenny Rogers Christmas Spectacular was pretty crappy too. There wasn't even free chicken.

4/13/2006 10:34 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

I once saw an adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. In once scene, Quasi throws a rafter down from the cathedral and kills one of the villagers. Everyone starts to run, when one guy shouts: "You fools! You have nothing to fear from a wooden beam!"

I would have paid good cold money if one of the other villagers sheepishly said, "All due respect, but that thing just killed Murray."

4/14/2006 11:13 AM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Dave as Gandolf!?!

Are there video tapes of this?

For me...worst movies are still:

Fight Club, Pearl Harbor, Mission Impossible and Titanic

4/14/2006 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Man, I told you guys to quit picking on Kenny!

I once saw a production of Phantom of the Opera that my parents bought tickets for because they thought it was the ALW version (bless their hearts). It was TERRIBLE. My favorite part was when the Phantom almost knocked over the giant styrofoam gargoyle he was hiding behind during a rooftop scene. He literally had to grab it and set it back in place.

4/14/2006 3:41 PM

 
Blogger Sean said...

***Dave...

You are perhaps the only other human being, remaining alive, who knows that movie.

I share your pain, brother in agony.

Anyway, KT, worst thing I saw on stage was a local production of "Miracle on 34th Street." It actually would have been BETTER is all of the actors were bad: the man playing Santa was pretty good, but was surrounded by a sea of mediocrity at best, awfulness at worst. At one point, a stagehand forgot to remove a prop (a wagon) after a scene change, and the actor playing the psychiatrist went into a five-minute ad lib about how his office resembled the set of some amateur theatrical performance (he said this while casting angry glances offstage). The thing was, the wagon was way off in the corner. I hadn't even noticed it until he went on...and on...and on...

4/14/2006 11:10 PM

 
Blogger derek said...

Cats. I just don't get it. Of course I saw it when I was 12 or so, and should probably see it again.

4/15/2006 12:19 AM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Eh. No prob. I enjoyed playing Gandalf. :-)

And, no, no videos available. If there are snapshots, they are locked deep in my parents' photo albums ... And I'd either forgotten or never known that my deep, resonant voice had made such an impact. :-)

(And despite the context, it really wasn't a bad play -- for a tiny high school "theater.")

4/15/2006 12:34 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh man, the worlds of mediocrity I could unlock for you if I started getting into middle school and high school theatre. College, less so, but even there, I'm sure we could come up with a few winners. And by that, of course, I mean losers. Just because we were in a theatre group doesn't mean it was always good theatre.

4/15/2006 1:04 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Oooh, Cats. It doesn't matter *how* good the production is, it's gonna suck.

The plot: "Where's Mister Mistoffelees?"

"Where's Mister Mistoffelees?"

"Where's Mister Mistoffelees?"

"Oh, THERE he is!"

That's it. Ain't no more.

4/15/2006 1:40 PM

 
Blogger JD said...

My friend and I walked out after 20 minutes.

But we are having a good time with the cheesiness -- every time we see each other now, we hug and whisper, "My beautiful wolf killer...."

4/19/2006 5:58 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

*giggles*

4/19/2006 6:05 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Critics pour scorn, cliches on NY vampire musical

In a review headlined "Vampires, the musical kiss of death," The Washington Post's Peter Marks said the fixation with singing vampires had to stop. "Give the bloodsucker a ballad, and it's his show that joins the walking dead."

"The only thing distinguishing this musical from its late, unlamented predecessors is that the lead vampires play for the, er, other team," he said. "'Lestat's' contribution to art and equality is demonstrating that a gay vampire with a two-octave range can be just as dull as a straight one."

The New York Post's verdict was "Bloody Awful" and Newark, New Jersey's The Star-Ledger said it was "just deadly."

4/27/2006 12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home