A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Sometimes, you don't see.

Doyce just put up a really great NY moment story that I wanted to share. My local readers will recognize this feeling:
Everyone is listening.

Not... hearing the words. I don't mean that. Even though his voice is strong and deep like a river, it cannot be made out at the other end of the car. They are listening to him speak - simply to the fact that he is making words, not what they are - at the same time, everyone is trying to act like they are not listening.
It's a very NY thing, I think, that oh so very obvious not paying attention to someone. Maybe it's the preacher in the middle of the crowded car, or the handsy lovers leaning up against the doors, or the vaguely familiar looking bald woman (?) sitting across from you. But we all do it. And it's nice, every once in a while, to let an out-of-towner crack the shell of indifference and point at something, and say, "Hey. Isn't that neat?"

It is neat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Harlem Snowflake said...

I'm totally listening. I will even move my headphones out of my ear, but just in front of it so it could appear that they are still in, to listen to beggar/lover/crazy/preacher...definitely the nyc thing...and you don't look. not til they pass you, and even then you don't really follow them with your head - maybe your eyes but not your head. UNLESS - there is someone ELSE who says something to them, and there's an interaction to observe! THEN we're all eyes and ears. It's like we are all just waiting for someone else to break the ice so we can feel the relief of acknowledgement of this phenomemon by another person sharing the subway car.

Am I making sense? Anyway, you were before.

4/09/2006 12:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home