A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Something like a literary review

So, I was watching the Sci Fi channel the other day, enjoying the cuteness that is the new Doctor Who, and the roomie and I were flummoxed by SciFi's commercials for a new cheesy looking fantasy movie called "Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King," which was being promo'ed as a precursor to "Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Narnia." To which the roomie and I said, "Wha?" (having never heard of the Dragon King.) But my good ole bible of all things pop culture-y, Entertainment Weekly was good enough to enlighten us -- The Dragon King story is based on the Nibelungenlied, or the Ring of the Nibelung, aka the story on which Wagner's Ring cycle is based. So, ok, it is old. The movie still looked damn cheesy though.

Anyway, the reaason I bring this up today, a week or more after the movie aired on basic cable, is I was having a really nice lunch with a bunch of folks from my office, and the topic of baby names came up -- not all that unusual, since we were out with two pregnant women, one of whom we were treating to a "not-shower" lunch. The lone guy with us was joking about suggesting Viking names, and I burst out with "Freya," and he bounced all over that. "That's great. What is that? How do you spell it?"

I pulled from my limited knowledge of Norse mythology, remarked that I thought she was the Norse verison of Aphrodite, which she is, or at least the goddess of love and sex (and battle!). And this, roundaboutaways, led back to the reason why I knew about her, which I thought I could trace back to a college class where we read the classic retelling of the Ring story. Which I recommended to my coworker, and he's going to go get from the library.

So you see? My job's not all about having to recommend books I really don't like. Really. Sometimes there's good stuff.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob S. said...

Heh. The O'Reilly Factor for Kids. The Reader's Digest Version:

"I'm not lying to you just because you're a kid. I'm lying to you for the same reason I lie to everyone: I think you're stupid. The End."

4/11/2006 3:53 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Ah. I'd wondered about that "Before the" claim in those endless commercials. Coolness.

Glad you're enjoying Doctor Who.

4/11/2006 8:01 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Um...

So why did you have to rcomend books that you did not like?

I mean, O'Lielly?

Also, Iw ill assume that some time in th future SciFi will advertise a show like this:

"Before Lord of the Rings, Before Narnia, and even before Dark Kingdom: the Dragon King there was Beowulf....see the story that started it all!"

Silly SciFi.

4/12/2006 10:25 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

"Before Lord of the Rings, Before Narnia, and even before Dark Kingdom: the Dragon King there was Beowulf....see the story that started it all!"


To late for that one bd...It's called "The Thirteenth Warrior".

As for Dark Kingdom...It's supposed to be the story of Siegfried. One of those Norse hero types.

4/12/2006 1:52 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

For Kids - That is 3,659 kinds of wrong.

That is all.

4/12/2006 2:47 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Sam, I was totally going to ask you if you saw this! Did you? What did you think?

4/12/2006 3:20 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I'll get back to you on that, as I haven't seen much of it. The first night of the 3 or 4 parts is all I managed to get taped. I'm hoping to catch the whole thing in a couple weeks when Sci-Fi runs the entire series in one day.

What little I did watch, seems to be fairly saga-like, as best I remember from reading the things, years ago.

4/13/2006 12:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home