A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ask me a question

I think I'm a pretty open person, happy to share things. Heck, among my friends I know I am. And yet... I get among my family, and partly I wonder if this is because we're all so big and friendly and open and LOUD, but I want them to ASK me about myself. If I just burst out with something, it doesn't feel earned, or something. I want them to WANT to know more about me. And it's a weird thing, because part of me is maybe a little afraid of what I have to tell, is a little nervous about sharing something, but I still want them to ask.

Like "Coda." I haven't told anyone in my family that I sold a short story. Sold. As in cash-money. It's good news, certainly, but there's the part of me that knows that the full truth of it is something they might disapprove of. "Oh. It's about sex?"

And I WANT to share my happiness. Want to talk to everyone I know about the good stuff I'm thinking, or the great and amazing deal I did at work, or whatever, but I hold back, and wait for the questions to come, knowing that in a big, crowded, crazy world, or family gathering, they might never come.

And I'm ok with that? I think?

4 Comments:

Blogger Terhune said...

I know what you mean. You don't want ot come off sounding like a braggert but you have this amazing accomplishment you want to share with them, but then in the back of your mind you think "What if they don't like it?".

But like Lee said above, if its not an everyday thing then let them know. You should be proud of your accomplishments.

Sometimes if you don't brag a bit about yourself the moment passes and then it really can become awkward. Announce it and then let it roll all on its own.

I like your blog by the way and have been reading it off and on for about a year now. I hope you don't mind that I added to my links on my blog, if thats a problem just let me know.

3/20/2006 12:54 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Thanks, Terhune! I don't mind at all! And thanks for both of your comments.

3/20/2006 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

I hear you, too, Kate. There are lots of folks who love to talk about themselves in my family, so I seldom get to share what's going on with me. I try not to let it bother me, but I do wait for the honest questions about how I am doing.

3/20/2006 1:31 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

There's simply too many people in my family (and they continue to breed!) for me not to just state my news flat-out. Otherwise it gets lost in a hail of nephews.

3/20/2006 4:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home