A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Happy Friday!

It's been a nice short week, thanks to my vacation, which doesn't mean I won't be absolutely thrilled when it's over, and I can put annoying office hassles behind me and hang out with some friends.

Went out to Brooklyn last night, to my friend Heather's gorgeous apartment in the Heights (she can see part of the Brooklyn Bridge from her living room window) for our monthly "Reading Between the Wines" book group discussion. A nice group of people with a wide range of tastes in books, all sitting around, eating and drinking, gossiping, chatting, and oh yeah, exchanging books. It's kind of an afterthought. There's a couple of titles that are making the rounds with very mixed reviews -- "One Hundred Years of Solitude," "The Dante Club," and "Fear of Flying," which I hated. I mean, if I want to read a sexy novel, I'm going to pick up a Black Lace book, not a 30-year-old novel about a whiny Jewish housewife and her unattractive lovers. For my part, because there's so much I have to read for work, and that ever-growing pile of books I want to read for pleasure, I only left with one book, and that not even something I'm really thrilled about reading. I just figured I could get through it quickly and be done with it.

Anyway, after a couple of glasses of champagne in lieu of wine, and one very undignified fall on the floor, I went back home, changed into my favorite new tshirt, watched a little Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, my eyes closing as I did, then headed off to bed.

Hopefully today will be a much more relaxing and/or productive day of work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Midwesterly said...

oh, but i HATED the dante club. in fact, both my brother and i wanted to hock it across the room after we'd done with it.
i deliberately left my copy in Taiwan.

1/20/2006 6:53 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Thank you!! I couldn't even get more than 50 pages into it. I feel so vindicated now!!

1/21/2006 3:50 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Fear of Flying

*Has bad flash back*

Yep, hated that book. Yet another of the few I never finished.

And I think that might be one of the reasons I hated Liz Phare the first time I heard her...it was like listening to Fear of Flying set to music.

I have heard good things about One hundred years of Solitude though.

1/21/2006 6:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved One Hundred Years of Solitude, although I admit to a bias there since I was introduced by a friend reading it out loud in Spanish and simultaneously translating over the course of a few nights of great drunkenness.

Liked Fear of Flying *cough* twenty-odd *cough* years ago when I first read it, but I don't imagine it aged well. (Hey, I was in high school and it had sex in it, which was something back in the dark ages.)

1/22/2006 10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home