A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Grandma's Crumb Cake

Inspired by others who bake a lot more than I do, and because I promised to bring a dessert to my reading group thingie tomorrow, I made a favorite family recipe tonight. I've mostly got it memorized -- one of the only recipes I can say that about -- and I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's very simple.

Cake batter:

  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Cream shortening with sugar, add egg; then add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition. Lastly add vanilla and spread in a greased 10" round pan.

Crumb topping:

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 tbsp butter or margarine

For topping, combine ingredients, mix by hand to form crumbs, spread on cake batter, and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Awesome who doesn't love crumb cake?

1/18/2006 11:46 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Mmmmmm. Crumb cake ...

1/19/2006 8:27 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

It's really good, at least when it's done right.

1/20/2006 9:16 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Mostly...

1/20/2006 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Damn, Dave beat me to it, but .."Hmmmm crumb cake"

One of these days, soon, I will post my "Death by Chocolate" brownies recipie.

1/20/2006 1:51 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Had some more for breakfast. That's the best part of this cake -- ok, well, second best after mixing the crumbs by hand and then licking the crumbs off again...

Anyway, one of the best things about this cake is how it manages to be dessert or breakfast. So you really can eat it anytime!

1/20/2006 1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home