A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

For me?

I cannot begin to tell you about the little frisson of excitement that I get every time the receptionist calls and tells me there's a package for me. I love it. Even just for the few steps down the hall to her desk, when I wonder just what it could be, there's such an air of excitement.

It could be anything. Something boring, like contracts sent from our subagent in Korea, or depressing -- another book I love rejected by a publisher. Could be something I've ordered off the internet, since I have most packages sent to me at the office so I don't have to deal with the long lines and inconvenient opening times of the post office a block away from my apartment. Might be flowers, for no good reason whatsoever. Never has been, but hope springs eternal. Could be some other surprise -- I never know until I get there and scan the packages on her blonde wood desk, hoping to see my name on the most exciting one.

Today, there were TWO packages. Two! I skipped down the hall, mind racing through the possibilities... and walked away deflated. Signed agreements to go to our contracts department, not really for me after all, and a lovely rejection of a picture book I'm beginning to think I won't be able to sell after all.

Ah well. At least there's still the excitement of hitting "Check for new mail" on my personal email account. It's the little things that get me through my day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Carter said...

That and hoping someone commented on your blog, right?

1/26/2006 4:51 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

That too, Ted. Exactly!

1/26/2006 4:54 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

Whee!

1/26/2006 6:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home