A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sitting at the airport

Oooh, isn't this exciting?  All the glamour of air travel, sucked out by fast food restaurants, the overwhelming smell of popcorn wafting through the concourse, and the very unsexy striptease we've all just been through in order to procede to the gate.

Remember when folks used to dress up to travel?  When women would wear hats, and gloves, and specially made travel suits, and all the guys looked like gangsters in fedoras and suits?  Ok, me neither, but I -wish- people still treated travel like it was something special, and not just a airbourne bus.

And people, people, people!  Here's a clue that your suitcase is too heavy and will be hit with an overweight fine - you can't lift it.  I can't tell you the number of people in the check in line I saw struggling with gi-normous suitcases.  I have no pity for these people.  If you can't manuever your baggage by yourself, don't expect me to help you lift it to be weighed, or handed over to the baggage clerk at the security checkpoint.  And I can't believe check-in clerks even give people the opportunity to repack their bags, shuffling items from one bulging suitcase to another, trying to get them under the weight limit.  Please, just charge them, and let's move this line along.  Maybe if they collected all the overweight baggage fees the airlines were due, they could charge less for airfare.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Ok, rant over.  I've got about an hour before they start boarding, and I think I'm going to dive into a book.  More later.

5 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

*snort*

I am laughing with you...honest.

Yes, I have seen that and it makes me fussy as well.

Now I want you to remember this when you are one Maltesers pound over the limt. ;P

Have a great rest of the journey!

10/13/2005 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Ali said...

AMEN SISTER!

10/13/2005 9:18 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

*laughs*

Ah.. The airport.. Bus terminal to the skies..

For some reason, and I think it is a defense mechanism, I always forget how much people suck at checking in on time and with their luggage in order and just how soulless airports are in general.

I like flying and planes ( despite thier basically being a tin can with wings moving at scary fast speeds and carrying lots of really flammable fuel with them ) but I hate airports.

Anyways, I hope your flight was good, the people sitting next to you weren't so grotesquely obese they slopped over your arm rest, and that you arrived safely and are getting a nice bit of jet lag reducing sleep now.

10/14/2005 1:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... My last time in an airport was... February of 1990...

10/14/2005 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

There is certainly a reason I've taught myself to sleep at airports and on airplanes. It was that or be kicked out for yelling and screaming.

10/14/2005 3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home