A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Nothing much to say

I don't really have anything to write, beyond an update on what I did today to get ready for my trip later this week. But really, how exciting can that be to read again and again? Do you really care that I got the suitcase, and my mom gave me another new bag to bring with me that she doesn't like? I mean, it's a lovely bag, but still.

And I could tell you about going out to dinner last night with everyone, which was a load of fun, and not at all awkward that the last time I saw MJ's new boyfriend was when he and I were out on a date together. Not at all awkward when someone asked if I'd met him before last night. Nope. It was all just fun, laughter, interesting conversations about books, politics, and England.

Sort of on that subject, I did read a good book today, "Permanent Rose" by Hillary McKay, which is the third in a series about an eccentric family living in England, whose children are all named after paint colors. And I finished off another CoH conversational thread.

But I didn't get the work done on "HtDaS" that I hoped I would, and I didn't watch yet another movie that I borrowed from the library from the Entertainment Weekly list I spoke about earlier (but I think I'm ok with that).

And I'm beginning to feel rather out of my league with some folks' OneWord entries. I guess I'm just not that quick a creative thinker. I like to tinker over things, fiddle with them -- which is weird, I guess, because I never was much of one for editing myself. But then, editing something you've already written and polishing something the first time around are two different things. Anyway, on the topic of writing, Doyce said he had an idea for a shared story a bunch of us could do for Nanowrimo. I'm looking forward to hearing more about that. (Cue Doyce's comment, I hope!) I think I'd rather do that, and work on "HtDaS," and keep revising last year's Nanowrimo novel than start something else again. Though I do have a short story to write by the end of the year for a contest.

Plus, I just booked a Florida vacation with my sister, leaving on the 3rd of November and coming back on the 12th, and I'm thinking I'll try to avoid computers during that period, just to see if I can.

(And I had a whole 'nother paragraph or two here that I wrote at least twice, which I lost by hitting the wrong key, or losing my wireless connection, or because the Powers That Be like to mess with me. So I think I'll just quit while I'm mostly ahead.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

*snort* Funny dating stories :)

Having grown up with minor dislexia and major disgraphia, editing is what I do. Write, edit, write, edit and so on until I like it. Which is why I get frustated in CoH because I know that given enough pondering time...oh well.

Yes...and good luck on the no computer thing ;P

10/10/2005 1:16 AM

 
Blogger Ali said...

Wait - this dinner with boyfriend needs waaaaay more air time!

10/10/2005 10:03 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Ali -- ya think? Mwahahahaha. I'll tell ya in person some time.

10/10/2005 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

We will all definately miss you while you are gone over to Europe ( and when you are in Florida if you go all no-computer'y then ).

OneWord for me is kind of easy as I come to it from having done Impromptu ( 3 topics, a tiny bit of prep, a 3-7 minute speach ) and Extemporaneous ( 3 questions, 30 minutes to research, 5-7 minute speach ) as tournament events in HS and College.

If I am in the right mood, I can tear through a lot of writing quick and usually be pretty happy with it. It is later when I go to edit multiple smaller sections of writing into a unified whole that everything falls apart for me.

10/10/2005 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

OneWord - Been too busy lately to try and post every day, but being pretty obsessive about writing, it is a nice little challenge for me when I can do it; I'm certainly not conviced the three or four I've done so far are worthy of any praise, but I have enjoyed having to stick to the 60 seconds and being prevented from going back and reworking.

10/10/2005 12:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, the Nanowrimo idea, Here:

http://www.bears-cave.com/wid/#5241

10/25/2005 12:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home