A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ack! I got tagged!

By Rob over at Laughing at the Pieces. What for? You ask. Only to list 8 things you may not know about me. Again, all sorts of caveats apply -- to some of you who may know me better than others these may not be all that earth-shattering, and friends from different times of my life may find the same. In any case, here goes!
  1. I broke my left elbow when I was 12, on December 5, 1995, doing gymnastics. ("It's not called Gym-nice-stics!" I went over a vault doing a relatively simple move, but failed to stick the landing, fell backwards, and bashed my elbow on the not-covered-up-by-a-mat metal support of the vault, basically, shearing off the little cap of my elbow. There was much pain, and I'm left with a honking big scar of about 24 staples and two pins. On the flip side, during the time I had my arm in a cast and couldn't participate in gym class, I got to spend my free period int he computer room, becoming a geek. Go me!
  2. In my adolescence, I wrote fan letters to The A-Team, Knight Rider, Francine Pascal, and Susan Kay, the author of a book called Phantom. Sub-fact: I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera. Not just the B'way musical, which I saw too many times to admit, but also with the book, and any movie version of the story I could find. Yes, I saw The Phantom of the Paradise.
  3. To take a cue from Rob, my childhood animal obsession was tigers. Yes, of course, I'm a girl, and I went through a pony phase, but I had nearly a dozen tiger stuffed animals, and for a long period, every toy store I went into was subjected to a tiger puppet search. To some degree, I still want a tiger hand puppet.
  4. I've cowritten erotica! (Ok, so this isn't news to a lot of my readers, but it would be to a lot of people who don't read the blog!) One story, already published in Sex and Music, and one forthcoming this summer.
  5. I once made a list of cities I thought of living in. Besides New York and London, both of which I've already done, the list included San Francisco, Boston, and Washington, D.C. If I remade that list now, it would include Denver, of course. I'd cross off D.C., and likely give up on San Fran and Boston, which I've visited, at least. Other big cities I've visited: Frankfurt, Prague, Paris, Dublin, Galway, New Orleans, LA, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Memphis, and Santa Fe.
  6. To my regret, I don't keep in touch with a lot of my childhood and high school friends. Kelly, Kathy, Jen, Tami, Will, Joe, Andrea, Susan, and Janice -- I miss you guys! Christmas cards aren't enough. I'd love to track down those folks I've completely lost touch with, and be better about maintaining contact with those folks whose contact details I do have.
  7. I used to work at the New York Renaissance Faire, and once upon a time, was a certified Actor/Combatant in Single Sword, Rapier & Dagger, Sword & Shield, Knife, Unarmed, and Broadsword. I tested in a number of these weapons using scenes from Buffy, which I have to remember to ask a friend to transfer from VHS to digital video, so I can endlessly mock myself!
  8. I'm getting married in 318 days! And we have a wedding website (still in progress, and password-protected. Email me for the password if you want to see it).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger T.S. said...

When I was 12 I wrote a fan letter to Piers Anthony and suggested a new crossbreed species for his Xanth books. It made it in a few years later and my name is in the Author's Note where he lists everyone who contributed to that book. WOO! Childhood fan letters ROCK!

BTW, I love you for participating in choreographed Buffy weapons fights. Have you been to, or plan on going to, this?: http://uncoolkids.com/buffy/

5/30/2007 12:39 AM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

I had no idea how much swordplay you knew! You're deadly!

Thanks for playing!

5/31/2007 10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home