A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Weekend Stuff

Had a bookish great time yesterday at the Brooklyn Book Festival, afterwards hanging out with a few such luminous authors as Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier, Holly Black, and Maureen Johnson, trying to keep the huge big fan side of my personality from popping out and overwhelming my cool agenty persona. I hope I managed it. Despite the disappointment of forgetting my stolen Pigeon (as in, "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" and "The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog") drawing in a restaurant in the wilds of Brooklyn, it was a great day spent talking about books, writing, and all the other little things that make me very very happy about publishing. Even if I did forget my business cards. Whoops!

Today, Keeley and I meandered on back out to Astoria to look for apartments, and found another great building where we would love to live. I collected a few more phone numbers, and will be making some more calls on Monday. When I got back to the apartment, I succumbed to a lovely mid-afternoon nap with thoughts of paint colors, blue masking tape and rolling casters running through my head. I really can't wait to redecorate. Although, I will admit that thinking so much about a new apartment may be what's contributing to my malaise about this one. Then too, why do I always have to be the one who says, "Hey guys, the place is a mess, why don't we clean it?" And does anyone else ever realize that the garbage can underneath the sink in the bathroom doesn't empty itself?

Sorry, don't mean to rant. The long and short of it is I know if I want something done, I should just do it myself. Chances are, the roomies will help.

I gotta say though (and this may seem like a conversational leap, but in my head it's not), I am looking forward to my trip with Doyce to Prague. We've been joking that it will be like traveling with ourselves, in that we're both very much the plan things kind of people. Been looking at a few guidebooks and articles, and though I'm sure we could just spend five days wandering around the city and consider it time well spent, I am looking forward to some more specific sightseeing -- with photos to follow!

Which reminds me -- I must check that laptops are once again allowed as carry-on baggage on international flights. Does anyone know?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Midwesterly said...

yes. laptops are still allowed.

9/18/2006 11:21 AM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Y'know, if you keep emptying that trash can, then it might as well empty itself, as far as they're concerned.

My wife and I have somewhat similar (high) thresholds for clutter, but each of us has our ideosyncracies, forcing one or the other of us to do some cleaning before the other recognizes the problem. For her, it's bathrooms. For me, it's counters. You need a roomie with a similar dirt threshhold.

9/18/2006 12:33 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I say what Rob says... except... you know... with more elipses... and stuff.

... and I work in the word "abominate", cuz it's cool.

In other-topic-land, I don't know if it's entirely accurate to say we both plan everything -- but we both get a list of things to see done ahead of time, so that we can make sure (when traveling with others) of getting to see the stuff we want by enthusing about it to the folks that have no opinions yet formed.

Or something. Not so much planning as propaganda. :)

9/19/2006 11:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home