A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, September 01, 2006

And while we're talking about publishing...

I wasn't going to comment on the whole This is Chick Lit / This is Not Chick Lit thing, because so many others are doing it to death. But then some anonymous former editor went and wrote that "Chick lit is hurting America." And you know what? It so isn't. Get off your high horse, you elitist snobs. People are reading stories that appeal to them. You want them to stop? Write something else that appeals.
The truth is that chick lit is bad for America because it's bad for ambitious, literary writers, male or female. And that means it's bad for all of us. As America increasingly devalues intellectual rigor, education and compassion, it becomes harder and harder to find a good book. And believe me - the ex-fiction editor - it's not because they're not out there. It's because the market is saturated by bad writers claiming to rep for all women, crowding the bookshelves, making sure their one marginal, vapid story is produced ten million times over, like some pretty pink version of hell.
Taking aside the fact that writer of the article contradicts her own point -- that there is no good chick lit -- by saying that there are good books out there, what's with the needless division? "Literary writers"? Remember when there were just writers? I do. I get 10 or more queries a day from them. And yeah, so some of them are bad. But some of them, some of them are going to be great. And that's what keeps me looking, and keeps me reading. What I like to read is a story that entertains, and so what? If I have to plow through a pile of shite to find a diamond, I still want the diamond, don't I? Hell yeah.

Chick Lit isn't hurting America, people. People telling people not to read, whether it's book banners or pointless critics of taste, are hurting America.

Rant over.

Via Galleycat and Bookslut

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

The same has been claimed of any genre fiction (and probably of quite a number of authors who are today considered classics).

I would hope that there would be "serious" lit out there for those as get enjoyment or stimulation from it. But I like entertainment, and while "chick lit" isn't my cuppa, God knows that "Oh, those plebeians are ruining our ivory towers" rants never find much traction with me.

9/01/2006 12:03 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Amen. I didn't have much to add; just wanted to speak up so you'd know I was back!

9/01/2006 5:04 PM

 
Blogger DeAnna said...

Anything that gets people hooked, eh? I agree.

9/02/2006 10:46 PM

 
Blogger Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful blog post. Those of us involved in the creation of THIS IS CHICK-LIT support all kinds of writing...so long as the books are well written.

9/03/2006 10:30 AM

 
Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

I would rather read well-written chick lit or some other genre fiction in which Something Actual Happens than most "literary" fiction any day. I am not a dumb bunny. I have a degree in comparative literature from a very good college. I just like stories with plots, characters, action, and a sense of humor.

There seems to be an illusion that a "good" book is one that's no fun!

Okay, so I am a romance/erotica writer. Maybe I'm a bit biased. But "Chick lit is hurting America"? Oh please, anonymous editor, get over yourself!

9/03/2006 8:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home