A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Things you can do in NYC

Man, some days I just love living here! And technology. I love that too.

Last night, after work, I met a friend for drinks in a converted beauty shop/bar, paid $10 for a manicure and got a free drink, went shoe shopping after 8pm, sent pictures of the shoes I was thinking of buying to a friend for advice and opinions, went home, ate delicious leftovers from a dinner my roomie made, did the dishes, played CoH, read part of a comic book, and went to bed happy.

Now, granted, most of that I could do just as easily NOT in NYC as in it, but I really meant to stress the manicure/beer combination. I mean, I don't usually get just a manicure for $10, never mind a free drink, too! And when I left the bar, and thought maybe the shoe store was still open, and I could pop in, it was!! And I saw a beautiful pair of black heels with magenta satin riboons that wrapped around my ankles, that pretty much just screamed "Swexy!", but I managed to be frugal and resist them, though they yearned for me to take them home. I happily settled for a pair of black patent leather Anne Klein slingbacks.

And now, having completely lost MOST of the readers of my blog with that long digression about shoes...

Yeah, I got nothing else. It's a rainy Friday, and I'm looking forward to heading home tonight, curling up on my wee little couch, and vegging in front of the tv. May swing past the phone store on my way home, see about a new phone. Truly exciting stuff from the world of ktbuffy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Heh.

Well, go and get the "Swexy" shoes...you'll regret not getting them.

2/03/2006 11:18 AM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Started losing me with the shoes, won me back with "swexy."

2/03/2006 12:13 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Come on, focus on the important stuff; what comic were you reading?

2/03/2006 12:30 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Sorry, Ted. "The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius."

Funny stuff.

2/03/2006 12:45 PM

 
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

One of the best weekends I ever had, I spent in NYC. I called it research since it's where I set the novel I finished last fall.

Was last year and just so happened I timed it to coincide with Chinese New Year and I was staying in Chinatown at a very cozy little hotel. Some very cool places within walking distance, including a cafe opened up by some 30-something Euros, really good panini there, best vinaigrette I ever tasted. Two more cool places I checked out and highly recommend are Madame X and La Houppa. Fat Black Pussycat is also fun, I thought.

2/03/2006 2:10 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I don't know them -- will have to go looking for them! Last year, I was a contributing writer to Shecky's Nightlife Guide, and got paid to write bar reviews, so I got sent to all sorts of places, some of which were very cool. I always want to bring friends to the neat little "discoveries" I've made, even if I'm the 6,000th person to discover them.

2/03/2006 2:29 PM

 
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

Well, I know I didn't discover any of those places. I was just a yokel tourist who stumbled into some cool spots. Hehe.

Every random place I wandered into turned out to be way cool. Arturo's Pizza next door to Madame X has very good grub, and likewise the Pig and Whistle Pub that I found, I want to say off Times Square. The Shepherd's Pie was very good.

I'm pretty sure I used up all my noobie luck on that trip, so the next place I go, I will find utterly dreadful places that nobody in their right mind would return to. :D

2/03/2006 3:35 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

No, don't worry! There's some really lovely bits of Colorado!

2/03/2006 3:44 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I lived in New York back in 1993, for about 4 months. Helped a couple of friends try to start a small business, which failed miserably do to lack of communication. I didn't gett o see much of the city, due to being busy most of the time, but I do remeber the place was always hopping, regardless of the time of day, or night.

2/04/2006 10:36 AM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Ahh.. Ween. Great comic.

2/05/2006 2:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home