A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Have I mentioned my drug problem?

So, I'm less than an hour away from an always-terrifying visit to my dentist. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy, and the hygenist is lovely, but I was tortured as a child by an evil, sadistic wretch of a dentist, and his Eva Braun of an assistant, so it is with great trepidation that I prepare for a visit, even now, when I've switched dentists. The greatest perk of my new dentist, bar none, came when he offered, several years ago, to give me nitrous oxide during a routine cleaning. That's right, ladies and germs, laughing gas. The good stuff. I've never looked back since.

I get in that chair, no matter what the procedure, and I tense up. I've tried taking Advil beforehand, even my smuggled British drug of choice which contains over-the-counter codeine, and once I think I took a friend's Valium. But it's the gas, and loud music playing on my iPod (or generic mp3 player, back when that was what I had), that gets me through.

Sweet, sweet gas, which I breathe in with my eyes squeezed tightly closed so as not to see the reflection of the work being done on my mouth in the glass of the light above. With the music, it ends up being a little party in my head -- a dance party, with the sound of the drill or the brush thing fading to an odd techno beat behind the swing or Irish rock pumping into my ears.

Anyway, that's where I'll be soon. High.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

1. You should be in the perfect mindset for the Monday Munchies, later.

2. It's always kind of odd when I run into someone who really really hates dentists. Mom's worked at a dentist's office for something like 20 years and, even when she DIDN'T when I was a kid, she still had her college training as a dental assistant, and was always very 'into' the dentist's office in a way that helped Bonnie and me not freak out about it as kids.

3. I could never get away with wearing an IPOD at my dentist's: Patricia would keeel me... she likes to get caught up on "how yew arrrre do-eeng."

2/06/2006 5:43 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

There is a dental office downtown, big neon sign that reads...

"Dental Work - Will Put You To Sleep - Guaranteed And Professional"

I've always wondered if they could spin that off as two businesses. A dental practice and an insomnia cure clinic.

2/06/2006 9:09 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

I love the laughing gas. Been using it since I was a kid because, though I am normally not skittish about needles, I can't stand the idea of having one in my mouth. The gas is good. All praise the gas.

2/07/2006 10:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home