A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Already Wednesday?

Man, where does the week go? Heh.

Much time occupied at work with putting together a list of titles we plan on talking about with our subagents, making sure it's all pretty, getting pictures of the covers off Amazon, and then redoing it like three or four different times depending on who I'm sending it to. The Japanese subagents get it without one author, each of our two different Russian subagents get a different version, and then I do a text only version for the folks with slow connections. So, basically, yeah, a lot of work.

But it makes me think about reading, and some of the books and stuff that I've either read recently, or have on a pile to do so soon. Right now, I'm reading
Inexcusable by Chris Lynch, which is a YA novel about date rape from the point of view of the guy. I also just got issues 7-12 of the Astonishing X-Men from my friend Matt, because I am, in fact, a Joss Whedon whore. I still have Wicked and Son of A Witch by Gregory Maguire on my to-be-read pile, as well as the new novel by one of my YA authors, and a couple of submissions which I think show real promise. (Man, do I feel sleazy saying that! Try to imagine it without the sleaze, please.) And that still doesn't even begin to get into the other piles and piles of books on my shelves at home and here at work that I want to read. I need another one of those vacation things, please!

But I'm trying to be sensible about money and stuff (how's that for a weird segway?). I'm not proud, but I have a bit o' credit card debt, and I'm working through that. I've decided, though it can be said it's in my credit card company's best interests, to consolidate my debts, so that instead of making two sizable payments to different companies each month, I'm only making one big one, and hopefully, the balance will go down faster. Though I also intend to pay it off completely when my ship comes in, and I sell my book "HtDaS" for the buckets of money I'm sure it's worth. For I am nothing if not an optimistic fool. I think sometimes about what I'll do when I don't have that debt thing hanging over my head, and it's a bright and shiny future. Travel, definitely. Enjoy time with friends more, because I won't have to worry about being frugal with the cash I have left to spend after bill payments. I don't think I'll need to go crazy shopping, but it will be nice to be able to pick up stuff when I want it, and not pinch pennies.

What would you do with a windfall?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sadly, I'd really like to do some serious landscaping on the front yard. Some terrace/leveling stuff... yeah. That would be cool.

God I'm so domestic.

2/22/2006 2:34 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Credit Cards - Don't be afraid to play the shuffle game; if you transfer your entire balance from one card to a new one, you get to enjoy the new card's low introductory APR and avoid that sneaking interest rate that happens with most cards. Easier to consolidate more than one card this way, too.

As for a windfall, I'm with Doyce; lots of things that could be done around the house. But I could also go for a super-fancy digital camera and new computer goodies. Savings for the kids' college (or whatever). New cars. And, of course, paying off all of our debt.

Fun, fun.

2/22/2006 2:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WOULD BUY A RICKETY BOAT AND AN UGLY DOG, AND I WOULD SAIL AROUND NEW YORK PRETENDING TO BE A KIND OF PIRATE.

2/22/2006 3:40 PM

 
Blogger DeAnna said...

Europe. Duh.

2/23/2006 9:03 AM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

I'd probably travel a bunch. And play CoH more. And do more landscaping. And buy tutors for all my friends so that they knew how to spell segue. And ... a pony. And a plastic rocket ship. And ...

(Ironically, the code word is "sgfwy")

2/24/2006 2:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home