A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Sevens

Got this from Rob. What's a "meme," anyway? Who came up with that word?

7 Things to Do Before I Die:
-Travel around the world
-Have a book published
-Ok, have a couple published
-Be in love
-Get married
-Do something life-changlingly spur-of-the-moment
-Fall asleep and wake up again in someone's arms

7 Things I Cannot Do:
-Skateboard
-Play Baseball
-Play a musical instrument
-Have a political conversation with a member of my family
-Be deliberately mean to someone face-to-face
-Pass by a shoe sale without at least browsing
-Go more than a few days without email

7 things that attract me to people:
-Wit
-Sense of Humor
-Intelligence
-Compassion
-Looks
-Kindness
-Snarkiness


7 Things I Say Most Often:
-I know!
-Shut Up.
-Bite me.
-"Thank you for sending me your novel, which I am declining with my regrets."
-Cheers!
-Oh my god, I totally forgot to tell you...
-Ahem.

7 Books or Series I Love:
-The Princess Bride by William Goldman
-The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot(Shut Up. I'm a girl)
-His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
-The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
-The Alanna series, or most anything by Tamora Pierce
-The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy (runner-up: The Good Master)
-The Eight by Katherine Neville
(I could so go on and on and on here)

7 Movies I can watch over and over:
-Swingers
-The Princess Bride
-Serenity (Twice in the theatres and I just bought the DVD)
-White Christmas
-Any of the Indiana Jones films
-Four Weddings and a Funeral
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

7 people I want to join in:
-Yi Shun
-MMJ
-Doyce
-Aaron
-Sean
-Lela
-Ted

6 Comments:

Blogger Hythian said...

Main Entry: meme
Pronunciation: 'mEm
Function: noun
1. An idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

*****

Think of it like this, it is an "idea virus". Not sure who came up with it, but I remember it a decade plus ago being talked about in terms of the two legacies a person leaves behind, the 'gene'tic legacy of children and descendents, and the 'meme'tic legacy of the ideas and thoughts they've uniquely contributed and spread to the world.

*****

'Song of the Lioness' by Tamora Pierce was a close runner up on my list of books. Very good quartet.

'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman I liked a lot, but never actually finished the third book as I broke up with the person who owned it and had to give it back and never got my own copy.

Will have to give some of those other books your list a look.

My 7 movies list I cut down to just those things I'd watched more then once in the last sixth months and didn't count anime movies as it'd have been way different otherwise.

12/29/2005 3:00 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I can totally send you my copy of The Amber Spyglass (the last book in the trilogy), but I want it back when you're done. When I went to Nova Scotia last fall for a long weekend, I brought the whole trilogy on CD, and listened to them as I drove around. Amazing audio books. Really amazing.

12/29/2005 6:13 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

I have too many other books stacked up to be read right now as it is. All the holiday book loot so it'd be a bit before I got to it. Likely will just swing by Powells Books sometime and see if I can get the entire trilogy used since I don't remember the first two very well anymore.

12/29/2005 8:13 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Okay, so you are the second person I've seen list me as one who needs to join in, so I will do so when I can (or when I can't stand the work I'm working on anymore).

12/30/2005 3:10 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh, Ted, and then you totally have to list Ali, so we can get her in on it!

12/30/2005 4:23 PM

 
Blogger Sean said...

Hello there!

I saw my name listed, and lo and behold, not only was it my name, it was me! Wow! Yes, I am enthusiastic because I am new at this! Yes, I got a fresh box of exclaimation points for Christmas!

Anyway, I went ahead and filled it in...trying to do it quickly instead of slowly, on the theory that it would be more honest that way.

It's a good theory. Really.

--Sean

1/01/2006 5:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home