A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

So soon, you break my heart?

Fell in love with my new digital cable box last night, as I set it up to tape the entire series of Lost, The O.C., Gilmore Girls, Arrested Development, Kitchen Confidential, and whatever else came into my head as I played with it. Even recorded The Daily Show, and started watching it on a few-minute delay so we were able to skip some of the commercials. Good stuff. Really good stuff.

And then -- tragedy struck our burgeoning love. The roomie and I had to play with the connections to the tv and vcr and such, so we could watch the shows I'd taped on Tuesday. At some point after we'd done that, though I don't know if there's any correlation, the cable box started trying to reboot itself, and went kerplooie. Oh, Time Warner Cable, you minx. You tease. You lure me in with beautiful picture quality, and claim to release me from the bonds of programming, only to fail me.

I spent the time I should have used getting ready for work this morning on the phone with a service rep, who tried to talk me through fixing it, to no avail. She offered a service call -- at some point today. Unfortunately, not being independantly wealthy and able to laze about the house all day on a Thursday, I couldn't take it. So, the roomie having JUST picked the box up yesterday, today at lunch I have to go back down to the Time Warner offices and either try to get a new box, or see if they can fix what's wrong with this one. Sigh. I'm just glad I chose to watch Lost already. And how about that for a mind-blower?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob S. said...

We're getting rid of our digital cable box today, after &%#*& Cablevision screwed us out of the Lost season premeire. Whenever they send an update to the box, it goes into "bypass" mode -- which leaves us with a blank screen until we manually press a little button on the box. It's one of those things you shouldn't have to check, but with Cablevision, at least, you do. So when we sat down to watch our TiVo'd Lost premiere last night -- we got an hour's worth of black, accompanied by a soundtrack of me cursing those sons of bitches at Cablevision.

But, um, good luck with your new box. I'm, um, sure Time Warner cable is better.

Seriously, don't trust it. It'll let you down when you least expect it.

9/22/2005 1:48 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Warning noted. I went down to Time Warner at lunchtime, and they very easily just gave me a new box, so I met up with the roomie to give it him to take home and set up, hopefully in time for The O.C. tonight.

Just because it hasn't been great doesn't mean I'm giving up on it. Yet.

9/22/2005 2:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home