A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I need a good name

Got some really good work done last night on my non-fiction proposal, the previously discussed "How to Date a Superhero." Hopefully that will be in good enough shape to share with my writers' group on Monday, give myself a few days to make any suggested changes or revisions, and get it back to the agent with whom I've spoke about it. The more I work on it, the more excited I am about it. There's a special sort of challenge in non-fiction -- without that comforting buffer of a "plot" between the writer and a reader, all you have is, well, you.

And so I've been debating pseudonyms. I mean, I want people to know I've written it (and this is, of course, looking way ahead to a big, delicious book deal, and promotional goodies that will put my name on everyone's lips!) but I do think I might have to consider my "career." You know, that thing that I do that pays the bills? I have some concern that some of what I write might be... well, risque, and not the first thing that I want to spring to people's minds when I'm talking to them in my alternate professional capacity.

Besides, I do still want to write fiction, and I want to use my own name for those books (4 in progress, and counting). From a "branding" perspective, it's not entirely a bad idea to use a slightly altered name for my non-fiction. At some point in the far distant future, after the awards and the accolades, and the best seller lists, I can come clean to my adoring public.

While still keeping my blog a big, dark, dirty secret.

So... any suggestions for pen names?

18 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

I'll get the ball rolling... see if you can guess my inspirations:

Kate Summers
Kaylee Hannigan
Kate Harris
Cait Reynolds
Katie Doyle

Yes, it's true.

9/27/2005 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Hrm...

One thing I could think of is going with an "A" last name so that you would be toward the front in the Listed by author by last name.

Cait River

Cait Aarons

Cait Allyson

Kate T Willow

9/27/2005 12:55 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Psst... I like this version better.

9/27/2005 1:22 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

I always figured I'd cheat and just use my middle name instead of my first name for something like that myself.

But any of those names would look good. None of them ring particularly false when said aloud and come across like a name someone wouldn't possibly name their kid.

9/27/2005 2:05 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Yeah, here was my plan for a penname:

Real Name: Theodore Preston Carter
Name I Go By: Ted Carter
Penname: T. Preston Carter

But that's only if you want to sound really pretentious.

P.S. - How stupid am I? I've been reading your blog for quite awhile now, and just with this blog realized that the ktbuffy name was in homage to THE Buffy. I'm so ashamed!

9/27/2005 2:36 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

You're not stupid. I'm just glad my overwhelming obsession with Joss Whedon isn't quite as overwhelming as I thought it was.

And as much as I *could* go by my middle name, I'm more concerned with not using my real last name. Just in case.

9/27/2005 2:42 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Well, you could always go by, say, Noelle somethingoranother ...

9/27/2005 4:22 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Cait Siocán

9/27/2005 4:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb Loblaw

9/27/2005 4:43 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

*laughs*

9/27/2005 4:55 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Is your middle name something that could be shifted into a last name? That might work.

9/27/2005 5:09 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Not really. It's very first-namey.

Oh, but a form of my confirmation name might work. Kate Daniels.

Yes, no?

9/27/2005 5:51 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

That'd work. So would the Buffy-related ones, for that matter -- but this one stems entirely from you, which I've always felt is a plus.

9/27/2005 8:07 PM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

Lot easier to explain later / potentially less embarassing to explain later where it came from if it is somewhat derivative of your real name.

9/27/2005 9:26 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Kate Daniels.

I like it. :)

Now go and practice that for book signings. :)

9/28/2005 9:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Kate Daniels. Very romance novel sounding, though I can't seem to remember the name of the writer with that last name.

9/29/2005 12:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VORNADO, DESTROYER OF WORLDS

11/18/2005 9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or Betsy Crumblebottom

11/18/2005 9:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home