A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Got an Idea!

Ok, so I don't know exactly how this might work, but I was thinking about Nanowrimo, and how I haven't managed to finish editing my LAST Nanowrimo novel, and then I was thinking how much I love some of my new internet buddies' writing, and I thought... collaborative story, anyone?

I'm totally just throwing out ideas here, and the reason I'm not posting this on the Alliance boards is because I don't see us having to be constrained by the characters we play in CoH. This would allow us to be as creative as we want. Basically, someone starts it, writes about 2000 words, or thereabouts (I'm thinking of the daily recommendation to finish a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, but we could do less), and the next day, someone else adds onto it, picking up the story where it was dropped. We'd have to play by improv rules, to some degree -- you'd have to use the basic principle of "Yes And" to not negate anything that went before, but let each piece (perhaps written in a different character's voice, perhaps not) add something to the one before it.

I just know there's some really great writers out there, and as much fun as it is to riff on the OneWord each day... what would it be like to go beyond that?

Someone with more technical expertise than I might need to figure out a way of posting it, like on a shared blog or something, but them's just details.

Thoughts?

8 Comments:

Blogger Hythian said...

Sounds interesting to me. I've done NaNoWriMo for years, but only actually finished my story for it once and tore it apart immediately afterwards with revisions.

A group writing project does sound neat. Either in a form like this or some sort of anthology'esque form with shared characters.

9/27/2005 9:22 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

I could see doing something like that. I've run in NaNoWriMo twice (and, as is too typical, never finished the reediting needed to actually do something with the one output that was worth anything), and this would be potentially easier/less daunting than tackling the whole job myuself ... :-)

9/28/2005 10:53 AM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

Technically we should be able to do it here on Blogger, as a blog with multiple members ( as per the whole "Settings -> Members" thing ).

Other then that, get a few people who are interested, write up a quick post on improv rule guidelines ( that can be kept linked in the sidebar for future reference ) and start a scene up and off it could go.

9/28/2005 6:24 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Would Blogger allow us to reorder the posts, so that what's written first can be read first, to look more like a regular story, rather than from the bottom up?

Something to research...

9/28/2005 6:39 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

I'd be up for it. Been awhile since I wrote anything other than journals or blogs, honestly, but I think perhaps I need to get back into the swing of things. Just because I can't stand to go back and reread the novels I've written is no reason to give up right? Right? Someone help me out here!

BTW, I would love to try out CoH, but am having trouble justifying the expense, since I get so little computer playtime at home as it is, and have piles of pictures I have yet to mess with. Tell me it's worth it.

9/29/2005 12:46 AM

 
Blogger Hythian said...

If you have the bandwidth to download it, let me know and I have a 14 day free trial code that came with my CoV pre-order that I can give you so you can see what CoH is like.

And no clue on whether you can re-order blogger posts. Never thought to try.

9/29/2005 12:04 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Oh, it's so worth it Ted!! Join us. Jooooooooiiiiiiiinn us...

9/29/2005 12:49 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Like I said, I'd love to, but I get so little computer time at home, plus my daughter Bailey is a ToonTown member, so I'm paying that $15 a month. But I may not be able to resist. Hythian, If you're willing to send it, I think my cable modem at home can handle the free trial!

9/30/2005 2:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home