A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Chrismukkah lunch ravings

I'm realizing that it's been a veritable age since the last time I posted here, and even longer since I dragged anyone to my world on the web, and so I thought today seemed like the kind of day to share some thoughts.

Basically, I had a great meeting and awesome lunch with one of the guys in my all-time favorite band, and we're going to be working together on a children's book. That is, I'll be his agent. Wheee! There are still some details to sort out, mostly involving office-type paperwork, and making sure I get the all-clear signal from the Powers That Be, but I have a very good feeling. I mean, I think this is -- if not a sure thing, as there is no such thing -- at least a very strong possibility. He's got a huge built-in audience and a national platform, and to top it all off, he is honestly one of the sweetest, nicest guys I ever met. Really.

And I'm 99.99% certain that he'll never make the connection between me now -- his agent -- and me then (however many years ago), when I managed to score a guest pass to their concert and *ahem* a date or two with a member of the band, now fortunately a former member of the band, which subject I shall need never ever bring up in my new client's presence.

Really, though, it was a great lunch and a super meeting, and every time I do another one of these talks with an author, I really do have to take a step back sometimes to hear myself talk. 'Cause, you know what? I really do know what I'm talking about. This is my thing now, and I love it.

Speaking of things I love, I got an invitation to attend the Bologna Book Fair in Italy in April, which is like the Frankfurt or London book fairs, but just for children's books, and I can't tell you how much I'd love to go. I have to be sensible about it though -- I'm not sure if it's something that I'll be able to do this year, as I'm putting all my weight behind London for the moment -- but it's definitely something I'd like to attend in the future.

And in other children's book news, Maureen is a Booksense pick, which is awesome. Go buy her book!! And then buy mine, because you should have it already, and really, why don't you?

Now go! And Happy Chrismukkah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home