A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Reaction to Idiots

So there's this frustrating and ridiculous backlash against bloggers who dare to *gasp!* have an opinion. Jennifer Weiner felt it. Meg Cabot felt it too. Ok, so these are authors, rather than political pundits. Are they not allowed an opinion? They're not forcing sturm und drang partisianship on their readers, or making death threats to people who don't vote, unlike some. (P.Diddy, I'm talking to you. So's my friend Matt.) Anyway, I had to respond to it, and I'm attaching my letter to Meg Cabot below, cause I'm pretty damn proud of it.


Dear Meg,

I love your books, your shoe sense of style, and your voice in your blog. I love that you turned what could be a mean-spirited, "Hey, guys, I WAS KIDDING!" response to stupid emails into something funny, which half of the people reading probably won't even understand, since they clearly don't know humour from a hole in the wall. I love that your clearly very intelligent cat supported John Kerry, and you refrained from bitch-slapping the Republican readers who wrote in bashing her decision.

I think there's some very very idiotic people out there who can't get the point across in their tiny, tiny minds that a blog is, in fact, a personal diary, and you have the right to write whatever you feel in it. It's personal. And the fact that you publish it doesn't change that it's *your* opinion. And they have the right to read it or not, and agree or not. But that you had to post an apology, even a funny one -- well, I suppose it was easier than writing "Hey moron," letters in response to each individual complaint you received.

Anyway, rock on with your bad self, and keep the great books coming. And if you're looking for any future Book Club selections, can I suggest "The Key to the Golden Firebird" by Maureen Johnson? Not only does she share your editor at Harper, but she's an avid reader of your blog and thinks you'd be super best friends, what with all your similarities and such. I must agree (as her best friend and as a literary agent, but that's neither here nor there).

Cheers,
ktbuffy


And now back to your regularly scheduled life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home