A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Go NASA!

So, I was home this morning, waiting for the contractor (who will, in fact, tear down my urine-soaked bathroom walls and put up new dry wall), and I caught the landing of the Space Shuttle. Which, in a spirit of understatement, was cool. Sure, it kinda looks just like a plane when it's landing, but the history of our space program -- well, the recent history, at least -- is such that I was watching, on edge, worried that something would go wrong at the last moment, and thus genuinely relieved when everything went well. I remember watching the Challenger explode as a child, and the more recent Columbia (I think?) disaster, and I feel we've all just seen so many movies where the payoff of a tense landing, with all eyes watching, isn't usually a safe and happy one. So I was glad that this time, we didn't need a Hollywood ending. If that makes sense.

So, yeah. Go NASA! I mean, after all, it's 2006. Weren't we supposed to have colonized the moon, or at least gone back there by now?

3 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

I remember watching the Challenger explode as a child

/em coughs uncontrollably as he considers where he was when the Challenger exploded and how he was definitely not a child at the time.

I mean, after all, it's 2006. Weren't we supposed to have colonized the moon, or at least gone back there by now?

/em shakes head sadly.

7/17/2006 5:29 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

OK, I might have been in high school. But it feels like a long time ago.

7/17/2006 6:48 PM

 
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

Yep, I was in high school too, and I can't remember what I was doing. I think it had something to do with the musical Oklahoma, though. To this day, I cannot abide a surrey with a fringe on top.

7/17/2006 9:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home