A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Weekend Recap

If it's Tuesday, it must be time for a weekend recap! <cue music>

Flew out Thursday night to Colorado after a tremendous thunder-and-lightning storm that delayed all flights in and out of NYC for hours. Didn't get in until 2:30 in the morning, some two and a half hours I was supposed to land. On the plus side, I was able to read "JPod" by Douglas Coupland on the way out. (Ok, I technically finished it before we actually took off, but I am Lady Optimism! Pessimists fear me!) All you cubicle and pod dwellers must read. Tech geeks will swear it's about them, and you know? It just might be. What have YOU done with your old computers?

Friday after I managed to get my inner clock onto Mountain Time, we had a late brunch at IHOP and did some shopping. I'm not quite sure when I'll get over the size of the stores out West -- suffice to say there was some Marco Polo-ing in Target. Because some people don't understand how Blockbusters work, we bought "King Kong," and watched it Friday night. I didn't hate it, like some of my friends, but I didn't think it was the best thing ever. It was easily an hour too long, for one thing, and if you asked me about scenes to cut, the first one I would volunteer is the one with all the bugs. I can't be more specific than that, since I had my eyes and ears covered. Still, Gollum did a great job as Kong. (Yes, I know he has a name, but I'm not inclined to look it up at the moment.)

Saturday we were up bright and early, and Doyce and I drove down through Colorado Springs and past the US Air Force Academy to Manitou Springs, and took the cog railroad up to the top of Pike's Peak, site of the aforementioned attack of the giant finger from the lower atmosphere! When I wasn't feeling woozy, I did manage to get a couple of other good shots, like this oneand this panorama from the submit. Also, marmots!! Very cute, though I didn't get any photos of them myself. Also, I got a badge!
Saturday evening, went out to dinner with Doyce, Dave & Margie, Lee & De, and Stan, and assorted wee little munchkins, then over to the gigaplex to see X-Men: The Last Stand. Much has already been said about the movie (here and here, among others), and I won't add much with my contributions, except to say, yes, it would have been nice to know who all those other characters were that were introduced, and how the heck did Colossus and Kitty Pryde get bumped up to X-Men status, and why weren't any of the other students at the school included in the Last Stand? Still, this being touted as the last X-Men movie doesn't quite gell, not with a Wolverine flick already in the pipeline. Is it too much to ask for it to be helmed by Brian Singer again? Or, oooooh! Joss Whedon! When he's done with Wonder Woman!

But enough of that. Sunday, we took the puppies for a walk, then went grocery shopping, and I got a tour of a pod (see comments on "JPod", above). Exciting stuff. Watched some Peabody-winning episodes of "Battlestar Galactica," and frowned to realize soon we'll have to wait for new episodes, as opposed to having them cued up to watch when the mood strikes us. After dinner, I indotrinated Doyce into the wonder that is "Bring It On."
I'm sexy, I'm cute,
I'm popular to boot.
I'm bitchin', great hair,
The boys all love to stare,
I'm wanted, I'm hot,
I'm everything you're not,
I'm pretty, I'm cool,
I dominate the school,
Who am I? Just guess,
Guys wanna touch my chest,
I'm rockin', I smile,
And many think I'm vile,
I'm flyin', I jump,
You can look but don't you hump,
I'm major, I roar,
I swear I'm not a whore.
Tried making some yummy Irish Brown Bread, too, but either I messed up with the ingredients, the batter didn't like sitting out before being baked, or I should have tried a variation on the recipe for high altitude cooking. Either way, it didn't turn out the way I hoped.

Yesterday, Monday, was mostly just a travel day, with my flight back from Colorado to NY lovely and uneventful. Read "Twilight," as per the Recent Reads column over there on the sidebar, and finished a couple of magazines. Enjoyed a new Daily Show and Colbert Report, and if you want funny, check out Colbert and Stone Phillips' "Gravitas-off." (Not sure when the link will go wonky, so check it out soon!) Heh.

And now I'm back at work, catching up on my work, emails, blogs, and assorted other stuff. And speaking of work, I guess I should go do some. Ciao!

8 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

He he...

Yes, ALWAYS do the variation for high altitude and/or use high altitude flour.

A friend, who has since moved out to Boring, Oregon (*snort* no, that is the real name :) ) tried her best to make something called St Brigintine Fudge(sp?)...and it turned out to be woderful Frosting since it wouldn't set.

*I* loved it (I subscribe to my sisters philosophy, that cake is mearly a delivery system for the frosting), her SO Hated it and made disgusting faces at me the entire time. ;P

6/06/2006 4:25 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Margie still struggles with some of the high-altitude baking, so, yes, it's a significant change.

6/06/2006 5:31 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Unfortunately, the recipe I had not only didn't include a variation -- I'll have to ask Margie her advice on what to add or take away next time I try it -- but also required an ingredient we couldn't find in the supermarket. I think we got the next best thing, but that may have been part of the problem too. Maybe.

6/06/2006 5:47 PM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Whst were you looking for that you could not find?

Also, now that the photos are all coming in, that looks more like a Sea Otter than a Marmot.

6/07/2006 9:40 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Well, I found him by googling marmots, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

And the recipe called for Odlums' Whole Meal Flour -- we used Whole Wheat Flour, and crossed our fingers. The other may be some sort of Irish speciality.

6/07/2006 10:21 AM

 
Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Ummm....Yeah.

That is very much a specialty item, and would have had to been ordered long before hand…or if you knew any of the Irish Ex-Pats in town, I am sure that they would have been able to hock you up with it, or a suitable substitute.

I would have to suspect that you would have to use high altitude course ground whole wheat flour, and should have made a trip over to Wholefoods to have bought some.

That and called Margie for advice on baking at high altitude.

6/07/2006 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Day of the Hero said...

Okay that badge earned pic is classic... Is that you? I don't think I've ever seen a pic of you before!

6/08/2006 12:11 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Yuppers, that's me! All woozy and dizzy and trying not to be sick!

6/08/2006 11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home