A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

All right, fine!

Ok, ok, ok... I take it back. There's been so many comments and fine examples of great work on BOTH sides, that I will continue to hold out on a final decision on the whole Marvel vs. DC debate. So, my comic book loving friends, feel free to share with me the best of 'em all! Matt was good enough to share "Woman Woman: The Hiketeia" with me (from DC), and I really enjoyed it. And I must admit that reading this article from Gawker yesterday has me even more interested in the whole "Civil War" series, as if blogs from ***Dave and Ted hadn't already peaked my interest.

So, bring on Spidey, and Superman, the Dark Knight, the gay Batwoman, your Crises and Civil Wars, and I will read 'em all, not neglecting those wonderful mutant Xs and any number of Fantastics. Clearly, there is geek pride involved.

3 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

I actually didn't much care for the Hiketeia tale (kick-ass cover notwithstanding.

As to recommendations, I assume you want contemporary comics. I'll focus on collections. All of the following are currently still being produced, and their collections are available hither and thither. While there are advantages to reading some of them from the beginning/earliest volumes, it's not drop-dead necessary for most. And I'm going to try to do the ones that are the least insider-knowledge sorts of things:

Marvel: Supreme Power* (super-powers in a world without them).

DC: Gotham Central (cops in Gotham); Ex Machina* (former superhero, now mayor of NYC)

DC (Vertigo): Fables* (fairy tales in the modern world)

* Don't really take place in the publisher's "universe" It's ironic that most of the things I'm recommending here aren't.

Other Publishers: Invincible (young hero); Powers (gritty police in a super-powered world); Strangers in Paradise (edgy soap opera); Usagi Yojimbo (beautiful anthropomorphic samurai)

Other Publishers (Humor/Geekiness/Gaming): PvP; Dork Tower; PS 238; Order of the Stick; Nodwick; Girl Genius

Others, inactive: Courtney Crumrin (an old little girl in a magic world); Empire (a world where villains won); Barry Ween (Calvin as a scientific genius)

For some other, older classics, my recommendations (again, collections of one or more volumes):

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Bone
Preacher
The Authority
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Astro City
Kingdom Come
Sandman
Marvels
Sin City
Watchmen

I don't know if the above will help you decide whether you like Marvel or DC better (and, in fact, few are representative of either of the big-Two's present output, as I consider it), but they're all faboo reads.

6/15/2006 6:58 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Fables is definitely a great read. I'd also add Darwyn Cook's The New Frontier for a fantastic (and continuity-free!) look at DC's icons.

6/16/2006 10:48 AM

 
Blogger NycRoBo said...

everybody's talking about this civil war ,i have to check it out

6/17/2006 2:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home