A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Recapping RGoSC "date"

Wow, I totally forgot to mention how the date went with Random Guy on Street Corner, didn't I? And it's such a good story too. (Yes, please feel free to note the irony.)

So, we had the initial encounter on the aforementioned streetcorner where he pressed his card on me, begged me to call, and said something else that I completely lost due to the wicked sound system on my iPod. I called, he said I was adorable, and that he'd call me that night. That night goes by, no call. No call, no call, no call, until Friday afternoon (the initial encounter was on Monday morning) when he called and asked me out. Well, I was out of town for the long holiday weekend, so I told him I'd call on Tuesday, which I did, when we made plans for Thursday night.

He suggested a bar called Brasserie, and I asked if he meant Brasserie 8 1/2, but no, he gave me the address for Brasserie. (Which, if I may make a momentary aside? French is all well and good, but come on, you name your restaurant the French word for restaurant? Generic, much? May as well go to a bar called "Bar," or a pub called simply "Pub." Not even Joe's Pub, or Bar 33. Booooo-ring.)

So, at 6:30 on Thursday night I'm at Brasserie, looking fab (of course), and sipping slowly from a vanilla vodka and ginger ale (my fancy drink for when I just would feel off about knocking back a bottle of beer). And I'm sipping, and I'm people watching, looking for a guy to come in along, see me, and come over. No one does.

Yes, let me stress that. No one does. I am stood up. And I just spent $9 on a cocktail that could have been used for, oh, I don't know... shopping. Hopefully, I didn't look too obviously rejected, so I just finished my drink and left for home. Stupid men.

Gah! Annoying and obnoxious, and worst of all, it made me feel less happy about the great Monday morning thrill which had been his compliment in the first place. But I'm moving on, and hopefully, this'll be the last time I mention it.

I'd rather think about the possible date in the future with the guy I've been emailing. No pressure, but it makes me feel better, especially after having been stood up, to think that someone somewhere does want to spend time with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home