A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Giving Up Again -- a sad kind of book review

I hate leaving books unfinished. Hate it. Sometimes, however, I admit to myself that I'm having such a hard time plowing through a book, that it will delay all my other reading (for work and for pleasure), if I don't just give up on it. And so... goodbye, Cross Country. I hardly knew ya.

It's a shame, really, since I love travelogues. At least, I love FUNNY travelogues. Cross Country plodded through retellings of the journeys of Lewis & Clark, while the author's kids slept or read something different in the back seat of their own cross-country journey. I felt the same way. I love Bill Bryson and Tony Hawks, Tim Moore, and even the travel adventures of Susan Orlean, which aren't always funny, but at least are interesting.

I may just need to browse around the bookstore a bit, but in lieu of that -- at least for now -- does anyone have some recommendations of good, funny, travel essays?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob S. said...

Have you read Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams? It's five or six trips to see endangered species, and seemed to me very Brysonesque.

8/09/2007 1:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not exactly a travelogue... but I've just picked up the re-released On The Road by Kerouac - and I'm totally enjoying it. It's touted as great fiction but still...
www.deannakentmcdonald.com

8/09/2007 1:34 PM

 
Blogger nor said...

Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer. Not a typical travelogue, but you'll feel like you're there for every second. One of the best books I've ever read.

Nor

8/09/2007 5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home