A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Monday, March 12, 2007

"Also, I'm having a really great hair day."

Fantastic, stupendous, shiny, sparkling, somewhat exhausting, jam-packed, brilliant weekend.

The short of it: I got engaged.

The long: Doyce got in early Friday morning and came into work with me, was an absolute star helping my colleague and I finish our reorg of the library, after which we ducked out a little early and caught a 6pm showing of "300" at our local Queens movie theatre. I had to cover my eyes at some of the beheadings, but I thought it was a great movie, really stirring, and it made me want a refresher course on ancient history. It seems like some of those old Greek and Roman myths/histories would be really cool bedtime stories to tell. If you're keen on raising bloodthirsty tykes, that is.

After the movie, we had dinner with the roomie and his gal pal, went back to the apartment and tried to shoot each other, while half-watching "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," so I could give Doyce a little reference to all the quotes I keep throwing at him.
-You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at.
-I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.
Saturday we had a lazy morning and caught a matinee of "Avenue Q," where I pointed out to Doyce the tricks of seeing a Broadway show and not behaving like an out-of-towner. Trick #1: Don't line up outside the theatre. You have assigned seats, people. Everyone's getting in!

We did a little shopping, including some window shopping for jewelry, wherein a certain someone managed to throw me completely off the scent, and after returning home to revive our tired souls with chocolate and change into our dancing clothes, we went out for the anniversary of our first date to Swing 46, where, in a little corner of the dance floor while Double Down played "Fly Me to The Moon," Doyce knelt down and asked me to marry him. I cried, I shrieked, I shook, I said yes. (Of course.)

Sunday morning, we went up to my mom's where I shared the good news and a bottle of champagne, gave Doyce a tour of my hometown and my various places of work, called all my sisters and texted some friends, told the good news to a high school friend when she and her partner came over to visit with their baby, and then cracked open another bottle of champers with my brother and sister in law while they coached their daughter to say "Put me in your wedding."

All in all, a great weekend.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Percy said...

Sweeeeeeet! Congratulations to both of you! :D

3/12/2007 6:11 PM

 
Blogger Terhune said...

Yes, Congratulations are in order.

3/12/2007 8:03 PM

 
Blogger DeAnna said...

Wheeeeeeeee! Yay yay yay!!!

3/12/2007 8:17 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

I would offer you congratulations, but Emily Post says that a bride should never be congratulated (as it implies that she "lucked out" or something. So I'll just say "Grats!" (which I think flies under EP's radar) and look forward to giving you a big hug.

3/12/2007 8:36 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

And, on a less consequential note, I assume you've read the William Goldman writing/screentrade book re Butch Cassidy ...

3/12/2007 8:38 PM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

I've read just about everything Goldman's written. You can say I'm a bit of a collector.

Also, thanks!!

3/12/2007 8:46 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Oh, and as well, "Glee!!"

3/12/2007 8:51 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

And, excellent. I have a number of his books (and others on the wish list). Great fun.

Though, I must confess (somewhat abashed), I've never actually watched "Butch Cassidy."

3/12/2007 8:52 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually have it, Dave, and (except for the one-quarter we all watched this weekend) I've never seen it either.

3/12/2007 9:30 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

Well. We'll have to do something about that.

3/12/2007 9:44 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

[And my name just suddenly "changed" due to shifting from Blogger login to Google login.]

3/12/2007 11:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, and I will say the same to you that I did to Doyce - I need pictures, I live vicariously through people who wear big diamonds.

3/13/2007 9:28 AM

 
Blogger Ali said...

"WOOT!" And double time, "WOOT-WOOT!"

3/13/2007 9:37 AM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Wow -- that's fantastic! To hell with Emily Post -- congratulations!

3/13/2007 12:52 PM

 
Blogger The Girl in Black said...

How exciting, congrats!

PS: good job to Doyce, for throwing you off the trail!

Here's to the first of many pleasant surprises during your marriage!

3/13/2007 4:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome (and romantic)! I LOVE "Fly Me to the Moon."

Congratulations!!!!

3/13/2007 6:48 PM

 
Blogger Lollygagger said...

This is the best ever news! I'm so so happy for you!!!

3/14/2007 5:49 PM

 
Blogger alvinaling said...

BEST WISHES!!! CHEERS! Yahoo!!!(and yes, I've also heard that you only say Congratulations to the groom-to-be. But I think I learned this from the Gilmore Girls)

This is the best story. Thanks for sharing your good news.

3/14/2007 6:12 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Don't you think maybe you should have gotten the approval of some of your NanoWriMo pals before making such a big decision? How is this going to affect the reamcatchers and the resort hotels? Where are you priorities, people?

Congratulations. Love is truly the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice Mutton, Lettuce, and Tomato where the Mutton is Nice and Lean...

(And yes, I know that's more of a Billy Crystal quote than a William Goldman quote, but what are you gonna do?)

3/16/2007 11:25 AM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

That's "dreamcatchers," by the way. Lost a "d" somwehere along the way.

3/16/2007 11:26 AM

 
Blogger Mark Means said...

Sooo...how did you like 300?



Just kidding...CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

3/17/2007 8:25 AM

 
Blogger TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

Belatedly (finally catching up on blogs after a long time in Oregon with no Internet) saying "WHEE! That's great news!" for both of you.

(Who knew? The erotic romance writer's a romantic.)

3/18/2007 8:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home