A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

One day down, Four to go!

Made it through the first day of the fair, sort of. Today's meetings were all at the Frankfurter Hof, where agents, editors, and scouts all struggled to find one another in a smoky mess of humanity. And did I mention the smoke? It's smoky!

It was a nice, short induction into what can be total craziness, since I only had five meetings, and I managed to locate (or be located by) all of them. Afterwards, the boss and I made our first appearance at a cocktail party -- yes, please, I will have a beer! -- and then went back to the hotel to relax for a bit before a publisher's dinner party. Also a mad crush, but we did discover a fantastic new trick: a taxi driver who returns for you! in the rain, it was delightful, as we TOTALLY jumped a long taxi queue to hop into the back of the cab that was waiting for us. This was the truly amazing part, though -- on the way to the party, after we asked him to return about two hours later to pick us up, he didn't ask us to pay for the ride there! We could have totally skipped out on the fare. he didn't take any identifying information from us. Gave us his phone number to call about 30 minutes before we wanted to be picked up, but didn't ask for anything from us. Can you IMAGINE that in New York? Hell, anywhere in the States?!?

Anyway, we'll call him again later this week to do some more getting around. As for me, I have a few more notes to do from today's meetings, and then I think I'm going to Nbc.com to download "Heroes." The TV here sucks -- unless you like "Hogan Knows Best" with German subtitles, or "South Park" dubbed. I mean, I'd be fine with a few more episodes of "Changing Rooms," but I've already seen the same one twice, and I've only been here two days.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

Next time you're out, you can swap stories with Margie about Fancy Business Conferences in Europe (with Lots of Smoke and Beer). :-)

10/03/2006 5:27 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

Y'know, Hogan Knows Best may be a washout, but I'd pay top dollar to see an ep of Hogan's Heroes with German subtitles.

10/03/2006 6:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home