A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking

Just had a lunch party at work for one of the girls, who's leaving NYC for the greener pastures of Portland, OR. Everyone's just crushed about saying goodbye, but in a sense, I envy her. It's been a long time since I chucked everything I knew and was comfortable with for the unknown. Not since I went to London after college graduation, and that was almost ten years ago now. (yikes! ten years!)

Financially I'm nowhere near a position where I could pick up and go somewhere else, though I dearly love the idea of it. Even just for a few months -- no need to make it permanent. I've thought a lot lately about the island of Inishmaan off the west coast of Ireland, and love the idea of renting a room there for a few months, bringing my laptop, and settling in. And while the possible close proximinity to a certain boy I met there once wouldn't be a bad thing, I really do believe that my interest in going has more to do with some solitude, and time to think and write.

Many of our GiveEasy Girls conversations have revolved around making the time to write, and I know it should really just be a matter of setting a time and sticking to it -- starting with discipline and moving towards an urge to write -- but I can't help feeling I'm stuck before I even get there! Even with our whole media blackout thing of several months ago, there just wasn't enough time to get everything else done that I feel should be taken care of first, before I indulge myself in my writing.

So that's just more of me whining about not having enough time, when the truth is I have chosen to do different things with my time. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home