A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Mmwwaaa...huh?

I've been thrown for a loop.

And it's not really personal, though it involves a close personal friend. One of my best friends, in fact, who told me last night that she and her husband are separating, effective immediately.

It wasn't about a big fight, or a sudden change in their relationship, just the final realization of a long-coming idea that maybe, just maybe, they're not marriage material.

And I hate the idea of it. That a couple I saw as having such a fabulous relationship, one that I envied and yearned to emulate, could have so much else going on behind the scenes. That it could crumble so suddenly to pieces.

My friend seems to be taking it well, so far, though I think it's still in the shocking stage of things. Can I love the idea she floated last night of the two of us dating together again, while hating the fact that she has to? (Not dating each other that is, but trolling together again for guys, in a manner we haven't done since our days in London.) And how can I be the best friend I can for her? What does she need from me -- alcohol, and lots of it? Entertainment to take her mind off things? A swank new business deal?

So, ummmm... that's the latest. I'll just sit here and ponder love, then, ok?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home