A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Is it just me, or does this remind you of "The Handmaid's Tale"?

Via ***Dave, I followed a link to this fantastic blog commenting on a truly horrible NY Times story. Like Dave, I had this tab open in my browser for days -- weeks, even -- as I tried to figure out a way to comment on this that wasn't just me pointing and gagging in horror and disgust. I'm not sure now if I really am doing anything other than that, but at least it's here on my personal blog, and not on my work site. Anyway, read it.

2 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

The awful thing is that I can envision ... *something*, some sort of ritual that would be directed towards the same ostensible end (parent as protector and guide to help a daughter in a difficult world) without the creepy swords and oaths of purity and all that crap.

6/06/2008 9:34 AM

 
Blogger DeAnna said...

...And the essence of that ritual should be "I will beat the shit out of anyone who touches you without your permission. Even your husband." Funny how they skip all mention of that, that you're not necessarily safe, even once you get married. Or that being forcefully removed of your purity isn't your fault.

6/06/2008 7:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home