A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Grr, argh.

Woke up with a headache this morning, and the jackhammers going on outside my office window (13 stories below) are NOT HELPING. Just looking forward to getting through the day and heading down to the beach for the weekend.

Anyway, yesterday I went with my mom and my sister over to Saks to try to find Mom a Mother-of-the-Bride outfit for C's wedding. (Now that I think of it, the headache may be residual effects from that experience.) We had a very helpful personal shopper, and ended up with a beautiful outfit that will be tailored to fit Mom perfectly, but it wasn't what you'd call a fun experience. Mom had several very definite ideas of what she didn't want, and unfortunately, 99% of all outfits that might be appropriate for a November, black-tie event for a woman-of-a-certain-age included those very elements. I'm really glad I insisted on going with her, to help her feel more comfortable in what C insisted on -- we were able to get a really great sweater to go underneath the jacket the saleswoman and C loved, that went with a gorgeous long, olive taffeta skirt with a little tail.

One thing that stood out for me. As Mom posed, unsure in the long skirt and beaded jacket combination, the saleswoman said, "I'm selling this to every Mother-of-the-Bride that comes in." Or words to that effect. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just get your dander up? I don't WANT something that's the same as every other MOB outfit out there! Now, granted, black tie and winter weddings in the city are much more formal that what Doyce and I are planning, but I have already promised Mom she can wear WHATEVER she wants, whatever she feels comfortable in -- just so we don't have to go through the same sort of thing again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home