A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Follow-up

On my post about the role of the critic. The original writer at Popwatch posted a response, and ***Dave posted a very well thought-out reaction to the original as well.

For my part, I hadn't imbued the original post with the snide "I'm better than you are" -edness that Dave read into it, instead agreeing with it on the same terms as I often view reality shows. They're all well and good sometimes for some people, but what about the writers that have practiced for years at their craft?

Dave is well to point out the value of intelligent reactions of friends and other trusted sources, even if not "official" critics, but I like the educated perspective a great (or even very good) critic can bring to a review. Sure, I'm just as likely to judge a movie on a fun-looking trailer, but I still choose to read reviews for that additional nugget of information that may provide.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

Thanks, Kate. I didn't mean to denegrate the value that a professional critic can bring to the artistic world and everyone's understanding of it. My criticism was more toward those critics who seem to take their education and erudition as an entitlement to respect and deference to their aesthetic opinion.

4/23/2007 3:38 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Yeah, I hate those kind of pompous critics. I think I grant the writers of Entertainment Weekly a little more leeway than, say, The New York Times. And the bloggers on Popwatch even more so!

4/23/2007 11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home