A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Who are you, and what have you done with my regularly scheduled blogging?

Sorry about that, devoted readers! I yell at others for not updating their blogs with persistent regularity, and and then I go and let almost a week go by between posts. Bad ktbuffy! Bad!

It's been rather busy here, though. I got an assistant at work, which is fantastic, but involves lots of little notes to her about how things need to get done, plus I'll admit I'm taking advantage of actually having an assistant to be really very diligent about getting through my work. Which is not so much "taking advantage of" as just plain ole "using." Anyway, it's very efficient around here lately.

Last night, I got called in by my sister to join her, my mom, and another sister in seeing "The Drowsy Chaperone" on Broadway, which was entirely entertaining. My feet were tapping during the dance numbers, I laughed at the appropriate jokes, sometimes before others in the audience caught on to them, and I walked out of there humming some of the tunes -- tunes I could still remember the next morning. That, my friends, is the sign of a good musical performance.

The main structure of the show has our unnamed narrator (He's billed in the Playbill as "Man in Chair") feeling blue, and deciding to listen to an album of one of his favorite old 1920s musicals. The show comes to life around him in his dingy one-room apartment. Here's clip of one of Sutton Foster's big numbers from the 2006 Tonys, where she won Featured Actress in a Musical.



Also, apparently, the Man in Chair made a whole series of theatre tips which are also available online. I haven't watched them all yet, but I'm going to start. The show's website has some other clips, too.

My understanding is that it's a completely brand new show, and that the 1902s musical he listens to never actually existed, but it's done so well, I wouldn't be surprised if it ever was a real show. It'd a neat way of staging a revival, certainly.

So that's some of what I've been up to. More soon!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lollygagger said...

Hey! Congrats on getting an assistant! That's so exciting! I hope all is going well with you...

1/19/2007 11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home