A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Flurries

Woke up this morning (from a dream in which I was auditioning drunk to play Ado Annie, I think -- from Oklahoma for those of you that aren't completely up on your Broadway character parts), and was have convinced I heard people shoveling outside. We'd been warned of another snowstorms -- flurries, they promised -- and I'm still enough of a child to get that thrill of waking up in the morning and seeing snow outside my bedroom window.

Alas, no snow. Just my imagination playing tricks on me.

Still, my good friend Al Roker continued to speak of inclement weather, and by the time I left my apartment, there was definite wetness falling from the sky. Not "I need an umbrella" wetness; more a kind of "I should have worn a brimmed hat." I had a sense, walking up Third Avenue, that the city was empty. That people heard the weather and decided to stay home -- or were stuck at home already in the suburbs or outer boroughs, where the weather always seems to hit first, and harder. Took the bus down Lexington Avenue, staring out the window at an ever-increasing swirl of snowflakes, clusters of white dancing, wondering if I could capture the image on my camera, or if it'd just look like any other street scene.

Walking from the bus stop to the office, I kept my head down, re-evaluating my decision to wear my glasses today rather than put in my contacts, moving among other pedestrians with a kind of Manhattan sixth sense. Now, sitting in my office, I watch bigger and bigger clumps of snowflakes falling past the 13th floor windows, some at different speeds, it seems. Some more sideways than down.

It's pretty. I like snow.

7 Comments:

Blogger ktbuffy said...

... And now they've stopped. Poo.

3/02/2006 10:48 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Snowing again! (Don't you love my updates on the state of NYC weather?)

3/02/2006 11:12 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

In my continuing report on NYC weather conditions, I can tell you, having gone out at lunch time, that it's definitely raining again. And it's a cold, icy rain. Ick. My toes are cold and wet.

3/02/2006 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

I didn't think I would but...

I miss snow.

And it almost never rains here. You wouldn't think you could tired of blue skies and sun, but...you can. I'm actually looking forward to the rainy season, starting in July or so.

3/02/2006 2:41 PM

 
Blogger ***Dave said...

I miss snow, too. And we live in an ostensibly snowy clime. Just been freakishly dry and warm.

3/02/2006 8:02 PM

 
Blogger Ted Carter said...

Never did have a good "Snowman" snow this winter in the Midwest. Yet.

3/03/2006 2:30 PM

 
Blogger Sean said...

We had snow for about a quarter of a second a few days ago. We're ever so slightly too low and too warm (we're in the high 40's now: which makes soccer refereeing interesting: I can feel my 38 year old muscles just folding their metaphorical arms and saying "ain't no way we're gonna move for you in this cold.") for it.

It's snowing about 20 minutes away in the mountains, though.

3/12/2006 6:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home