A geeky girl living in the big city, making her way, the only way she knows how... no wait, that's The Dukes of Hazzard. Who am I again? Oh yeah, a pop culture obsessed writer, publishing person, and occasional nerd. And I'm getting married. I talk about that, too.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

I really appreciate that the guy who just won for sound on Letters from Iwo Jima had a dad who was a Marine survivor of Iwo Jima. I had someone recently tell me they wouldn't see the movie, because it would be unpatriotic and disrespectful of anyone on our side who lived through WWII. Which, on one side I recognize that the way for anyone to get through a war like that is to make the other side seem like monsters, but on the other hand, I think it proves some real gumption to make a film that can show the humane side of the "monsters" we create.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

I'd have to disagree with the assertion. It's more debatable during wartime, but 60 years after the fact? I don't think so.

2/26/2007 11:51 AM

 
Blogger ktbuffy said...

As I said, it was another person's opinion. For my part, I'm just not inclined to see the movie because I'm just not as interested in the story as I am in a couple of dozen other movies higher up on my priority list.

I can appreciate the achievement though, especially for someone who grew up as the child of a survivor of that battle. Which represents the ability to change a long held opinion that I think the person I was talking about lacks sometimes.

2/26/2007 11:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home